Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Was the 520 a mistake?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Was the 520 a mistake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Was the 520 a mistake? Reply with quote

Hi

I have been using navigator 5 on an IPAQ4100 for the past 3 years with no real problems. However, the battery in my bluetooth tomtom gps receiver has died and it needs to be on continuous charge. As I was also in the market for a bluetooth car kit is seemed to amke sense to get a new Tomtom. Got 520 music for £161 from PC World 4 days ago.

Got it working with ipod using fm transmitter and hands free with nokia e65.

First long journey today taking son back to Uni. Constnatly needed to retune FM along M40/M6 - not good practice at 70mph! Got first incoming call and was pleased to see good display with wife's number and a big easy button to touch - however, as it connected the speaker became distorted and I couldn't hear a word being said. At this stage, only 2 hours into trip, the battery suddenly died which kiiled the FM transmitter and left the radio blasting interference at 90db.

I felt it best to pull over to reset the tomtom and did so at the next junction. Got it all reset and connected and plugged into car charger and strated off again. Bluetooth then worked ok but to be honest the volume of reception was too low even on highest setting. The speaker kept going fuzzy and in the end I turned off thre ipod as it was unworkable.

I am going to try tomorrow with my son's sony K770i and wil report back. However, I am seriously considering returning the unit, going back to my ipaq and investingting the money in some decent ipod and bluetooth dension kit.

Have I made a mistake or will thing get better? Question
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a problem with the speaker on some x20 models, you get noises in the background of calls etc. It seems to be a hit or a miss. I would take it back for a replacement, try it and you might find it is ok.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really should be using the device powered up from the car, waiting for the battery to die as you have found out will occur at the worst possible time, the device was supplied with a car charger cable, you have the FM and BT switched on so external power is needed for anythin bar a quick trip around the block (if you want the device to work correctly that is) - Mike
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks

Other than BT and FM transmitter, is there much difference between One XL and GO520?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One XL has got Bluetooth but only for a data connection, it will not act as a handsfree device for your phone though.
No FM Transmitter
No Text To Speech
No mp3 player
Otherwise they are about the same size, One XL is lighter to carry around though - Mike
c2rm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - so I am now on my 4th 520!

Took the first one back to PC World and the guy swapped it straight away no questions. Rather than drive off though I sat in the car park to be sure it worked. Just as well as the speaker was completely dead! Managed to get the FM working but not a squeet out of the internal speaker. Back in the shop and swap number 2.

Had to go home by that stage so sorted it out when I took my son to his fencing club. The speaker was ok and sounded good but this one had a bad mic. I was calling my office phone and leaving messages then picking them up to check the quality - not good at all.

Much reading of the forum last night and it seemed I had one of those buzzy mics.

Back to PC World today and this time he wasn't so keen to swap the box. I think he saw me a serial sat nav shagger!

Still, we reached agreement and this one is working just fine I am pleased to report.

Thanks for the replies to my earlier post and also for all who have taken time to post their info which has, in turn, helped me.

Is the 520 a mistake? No I don't think so. The sat nav functions a treat and now I have my handsfree calling sorted I am a happy hector. I will be connecting my line out directly to the back of OEM radio so all will be good and the sun will shine tomorrow Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: