Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 720 POI's Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 720 POI's Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: TT 720 POI's Problem Reply with quote

Bought my new TT 720 yesterday. I installed TomTom Home and looked for Updates and downloaded and installed V 7.221 and the UK Safety Cameras. Only after that did I start actually exploring the TomTom. I set my Home to my home address and looked at the POIs near to home. Some like cash dispensers, petrol stations and cinemas were coming up within a few miles but others like Police Stations, doctors and dentists were coming up hundreds of miles away in France!! Any ideas anyone? I've contacted TomTom support but thought I might get a better/quicker response here.

Also I installed TomTom Home from the cd and it's version 1.6. Should I stick with this as I've heard there are problems with the latest version of Home (2.1 I think). The version I have seems very temperamental though as after I updated the TT wouldn't start up - just got a flashing white cross in a red circle. I tried restoring the backup but it did nothing. I re-installed the software 7.221 which seemd to fix it. Also updating the safety cameras wasn't straightforward with "file not found" errors coming up as the files were being transferred. This seemed to happen at 99% transferred.

Can you also tell me what is supposed to be stored on the sd card? Everything seems to be stored internally at the moment. If I click on the card in Windows Explorer I just get the message "Please insert card" or something like that.

Thanks

John
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, have you got a Windows Explorer (not Home) backup of your device yet? See the tomtom FAQs Here and follow the instructions in number 1.

Next, updated doctors and dentists etc can be downloaded from Here

Home version 2.1 works fine for me.

Can't help with the sd card question as I don't have a 720. Someone else will be along soon to help with that.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the SD card inserted to the TomTom it will act as additional storage, it should appear under Windows Explorer as a seperate drive letter - i.e. you will have a drive letter associated with the main TomTom internal storage and an additional one which is the storage card.

If you want to install mp3 files to the SD card simply add a folder to the SD card called "mp3" (don't use the "" and make sure you use the lowercase) - then add mp3 files to the card, the device will find the audio tracks once it is booted up.

I assume you live in the Southern part of the country as you are getting Northern France for the Doctors etc. further North the nearest are located in Northern Ireland, the links pcaouolte has provided will improve the situation, but bear in mind some of the Doctors seem to be vets and other categories, the POI files supplied with the device are not very good to be honest.

Should you want to install a set of quality POI files that can be depended upon look no further than the ones supplied from this site, the downloads page can be accessed from THIS Page - Mike
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As standard there is no card in the 720, just a dummy to fill the slot.

If you want to add music etc. beyond the capacity of the internal memory then you need to buy a card and replace the dummy fitting with it.

Mike
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks pcaouolte.

I followed your advice and did a windows explorer backup as you suggested. I had no joy updating the POI's for dentists and doctors etc. I followed you link ok and downloaded the files but when it came to installing Home threw up an error saying "Cannot install this item: Dentists in the UK: This file is included with the item but it should not be there: gbr_dentists.inf". I got the same for doctors so I didn't bother with the others as I assumed they would all be the same.

Just to add that the instructions for updating the POIs say when asked to select which version of Home you have to click on version 2. I only have V1.6 so I selected the other version (the screen shot matched mine). Is that why it didn't work. In other words doI have to install Home V2?
John
Nodge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mikealder for your reply. I followed your link to download the POIs from here. Initially I selected all the Euopean countries but I kept getting an error trying to download a combined file. I then just selected the UK and separate files and I now have 560 .bmp & ov2 files. I'm afraid I don't know what to do with them though. Do I just use windows explorer to copy them to somewhere on my TomTom 720? If so, where do I put them? Are they going to replace the POIs already on there or will they be in addition?

John
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to install them using home.

If you can find them on your PC, probably in 'MyDocuments/TomTom/HOME/poi/DentistsintheUnitedKingdom' etc you can unpack the cab file and copy the contents (an .ov2 file and an .inf file)to the map folder on your tomtom.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John the POI files comprise of a .bmp file (the icon) and a .ov2 file (the data), it sounds like you have downloaded the entire lot!

I would err on the side of caution to be honest, the latest version of TomTom software can accept 300 custom POI files so you are below the limit but do you really need all of them on the device? - I would think long and hard over which ones you want (need) and only install those required to your map folder (this is where they should reside).
The POI files will supplement the existing inbuilt ones, although the accuracy will be considerably better than those currently on the device.
I would also suggest you fully back up the device to the PC BEFORE you start to add extra detail such as this, have a read through the FAQ page #1 will guide you through the back up process, read the others at your leisure click Here for the FAQ page - Mike
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nodge wrote:
Thanks Mikealder for your reply. I followed your link to download the POIs from here. Initially I selected all the Euopean countries but I kept getting an error trying to download a combined file. I then just selected the UK and separate files and I now have 560 .bmp & ov2 files. I'm afraid I don't know what to do with them though. Do I just use windows explorer to copy them to somewhere on my TomTom 720? If so, where do I put them? Are they going to replace the POIs already on there or will they be in addition?

John

You are quite right, using windows explorer just copy the files and put them in the map folder, i.e. UK_and_ROI or W+CE_Europe or similar to this. and make sure to back-up first just incase things go wrong. then when you switch your machine on and go into change preferences-show POI's. You can check the ones you have downloaded to show on the map.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: