Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom ONE 2nd Edition routing abnormally.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom ONE 2nd Edition routing abnormally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juppy35
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Tomtom ONE 2nd Edition routing abnormally. Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea as to why the Tomtom ONE 2nd Edition would detour only southbound automobile traffic around the middle block of a straight 5 block route of US highway. Walking and bike traffic are not detoured. The Map Corrections’ (Un)block preference does not correct the problem. No traffic is detoured in the northbound direction. Strange.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the Start and Finish co-ordinates so that it can be tried?

Is that a 705 or 710 Map?

What I have found on an early GB Map was that there was a break in the actual Map Data on a particular road. The road was the M6 Toll road Northbound. It would go all over the place before rejoining.

On zooming right in, using Browse Map, and selecting each section of the road that it wouldn't use, there were 2 sections that didn't meet (by about 50 yards) and I believe this is what caused the problem.

As far as the routing algorithm was concerned it was a dead end road. Drive through it and it immediately recalculated correctly after the gap.

It's just possible that it's the same situation.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Juppy35
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Do you have the Start and Finish co-ordinates so that it can be tried?

Is that a 705 or 710 Map?

What I have found on an early GB Map was that there was a break in the actual Map Data on a particular road. The road was the M6 Toll road Northbound. It would go all over the place before rejoining.

On zooming right in, using Browse Map, and selecting each section of the road that it wouldn't use, there were 2 sections that didn't meet (by about 50 yards) and I believe this is what caused the problem.

As far as the routing algorithm was concerned it was a dead end road. Drive through it and it immediately recalculated correctly after the gap.

It's just possible that it's the same situation.

Hi Richard,
I appreciate you taking the time to look at this issue for me.

Device: Tomtom ONE 2nd Edition
Software Info: Map: Ver 675.1409
Application: Ver. 7.161

Start Point: 1649 Alderbrook Rd., Atlanta, GA
Finish Point: 1910 Durand Mill Dr., Atlanta, GA

The route detours off of Clairmont Rd at Azalea Cir, less than a mile from the starting point and returns to Clairmont Rd a block further south at North Druid Hills Rd. When I dirve the route and do not take the detour at Azalea Cir. the unit recalculates and tells me to turn left at North Druid Hills Rd. It acts as if it thinks there is some kind of turn restriction at the Clairmont Rd./North Druid Hills Rd. intersection and there is none. The return route is fine.

Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts on this issue.

Bob
Atlanta, GA
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I only have a 650 Map of the area, and it appears even worse on that! Doesn't even use Clairmont Rd until after North Druid Hills Rd. Shocked

Claimont Rd is shown as a Single Carriageway. If this is correct I would have expected that the time element of each of the sections would be the same in both directions.

On a Dual Carriageway a grossly varying "time to travel" can lead to some unusual "shorter" routes in one of the directions.

I'm afraid I can only speculate, and not offer any real solution, other than to report it as a "Report Other Error" and "Other" with Mapshare.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Juppy35
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Unfortunately I only have a 650 Map of the area, and it appears even worse on that! Doesn't even use Clairmont Rd until after North Druid Hills Rd. Shocked

Claimont Rd is shown as a Single Carriageway. If this is correct I would have expected that the time element of each of the sections would be the same in both directions.

On a Dual Carriageway a grossly varying "time to travel" can lead to some unusual "shorter" routes in one of the directions.

I'm afraid I can only speculate, and not offer any real solution, other than to report it as a "Report Other Error" and "Other" with Mapshare.

Thank you Richard for taking the time to look at it for me. And yes, Clairmont Rd is certainly a Dual Carriageway (2 lanes in each direction) at least for the 40 years that I have been traveling it. I guess I’d rather have something like this be the result of a map database error rather than a routing algorithm weakness.

I will report the error to Tomtom.

Cheers, Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: