Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom one xl / memory card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom one xl / memory card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anadon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: tom tom one xl / memory card Reply with quote

Hi,

Recently bought a tom tom one xl and I'm trying to find what I can use the memory card for. I've bought a 2GB card and was hoping I could use it to hold downloaded POI's etc.

I've seen in another message that the tom tom GO's can play mp3 files if they are put in the correctly named folder. Is there somewhere I can find a list of what folder names can be used and what they can hold. Couldnt find anything in the tom tom doco.

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you can put on the card varies by model (and probably software version)

It used to be that on all TomToms you could ONLY use the internal Flash memory (if present) OR the SD card. So, if you wanted to put a map on the card, you had to copy all the system software and voices etc as well as your favourites and POIs onto the card too. When you switched on the unit, it would then boot from the card instead of the internal memory (just like the models with no internal memory do all the time).

When the x20 range came out, they ran v7 software and were different in that you could use both the Flash memory AND the SD card at the same time (for SOME things). For example, you could put a map on a card and swap between it and the one in the internal memory. POIs and favourites for that map STILL have to be in the map folder itself. You could also put mp3 misic and pictures on the card and the TT would find them.

All this is no use to you so far!
What I DON'T know, is whether any of this has changed now that v7 software is available for the other models (including the One XL).
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

My One XL's memory is purely on the SD card (no internal memory). You can load maps and downloaded POIs (including the speed camera database from this site) onto it fine. They will go in the same folder as the map data on the card.

You can copy across all the files from the supplied card to the new one and it will work fine.

The XL does not support MP3 files though. Navcore v7 (the latest software release) hasn't added anything like that for the XL unlike on the Go's.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the specific info for the XL, Gerry.

I got half way through my post before I realised I was waffling too generally! Embarassed
Also, I thought the XL didn't have Flash memory, but Anadon threw me off the scent when he/she said they'd bought an SD card, which made me think they didn't have one before!

That's the trouble. A while back you could confidently say "this is how it works" on all TomToms, but now, the capabilities of different models on different software versions are getting quite diverse.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regional One XL uses a memory card for the application and maps, The Europe One XL is equipped with 1GB of internal memory and is fitted with an SD card slot which is empty when new.
To use a different SD card with either XL version requires the application, maps, voice files and folders on the card, the device will boot from the card if fitted, no card and it will boot from the flash memory (Euro version only) - Mike
Anadon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've copied all the tom tom software from the internal drive to the card and it all boots fine.

Does anyone know what the chances are of tom tom updating the software on the one series to support mp3, audobooks etc ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they will do the mp3 and audio books on the One devices, these functions are generally reserved for the higher end devices. There is a third party mp3 player you can install but it won't navigate at the same time IIRC - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: