Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I load europe maps on a TomTom One Regional?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I load europe maps on a TomTom One Regional?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aris1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Can I load europe maps on a TomTom One Regional? Reply with quote

I want to buy a tomtom - but I don't want to buy more than I need.

A basic TomTom One regional will be fine for me driving around in the UK which will be what I use it for 99% of the time - but I may want to use it when I go on holiday.

Is it possible to load alternative maps on a regional unit on an SD card, or perhaps temporarily overwriting the built-in maps with an alternative map and then changing back to UK when needed?

Also - is there any benefit in buying the XL besides the bigger screen?

Thanks,
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XL big screen is great.

What's the price difference between Regional and whatever else (I assume you mean Europe)? What's the price of the map you'd have to buy?

For example, the One XL Europe is £30 dearer than the One XL Regional on the TT website, but a Europe map bought separately is an extra £39.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aris1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point - I will have to investigate that before I purchase.

So are the Regional and Europe editions hardware identical - just a software difference? For example, do they both have the same memory and an SD slot? What about the XL - does it have the same memory?

At the same time of only buying what I need, I still do want to keep an eye on future upgradability.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take care not to buy the regional version of the TomTom One 3rd edition. It does not have a slot for an SD card and the internal memory is not big enough to take the Europe maps. If you can still get one, the 2nd edition takes a card, otherwise your best bet is the XL
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
aris1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the XL Regional suffer from the same issue of not having an SD slot - or is there no such thing of a 3rd edition of the XL (I do not see any mention of it on the tomtom website)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no such thing as an "One XL 3rd edition".

Here's a good comparison chart. Just select the models you want to compare. It should tell you which has internal memory, an SD card slot, or both.
aris1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info - most helpful. Has there been any consensus yes if the hammerhead chipset is better/worse than the SiRF one?

I also notice that the Europe model only has Western Europe included - i'm more interested in Eastern Europe - Greece in particular - so buying a TT Europe would be a bit of a waste software wise - unless I could get it with Eastern Europe instead of Western.

It sounds to me like the XL is the best bet - with SD support and 1GB of flash internally. Only downside I can see is is that it is perhaps a bit too big to fit in the pocket.

Aris
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Tom have not yet issued a map of Greece. Some (but not all) Europe ones do have street map for Athens.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
aris1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athens is a good start - it is a fairly complicated city to nagivate, and Athenian drivers are not very forgiving - and though I can read Greek, it is not my first language - so a SatNav would be fantastic.

Do you have any information on where I can obtain Greek maps - even if they are just for Athens - and is there any timescale on proper maps for Greece?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of This Thread from earlier in the year, it shows a couple of screen captures of Athens etc and was using the Western and Central Europe Map from the 910 device - Mike
aris1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - but how do I get those maps on an XL?

I did some googling and found that there are some nefarious maps available for eastern europe - but strangely not available from TomTom. Very odd. I _know_ maps are available for Greece as i've seen them in the built-in satnavs in Mercedes Benz cars there - but obviously these have not been licensed by TomTom.

Yet another reason why I would like one with an SD card - at least there is the possibility of expansion in the future.

One other question - is there a limit on the size of SD card one can use in a TomTom? All I see mentioned is 1gb - but can you use a 2gb card?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2GB works fine. As does 4GB, but it needs to be NON SDHC technology (most 4GB cards ARE SDHC). If you stick "SDHC" into the search box you should get links to a couple of brand names.

To get the Western and Central Europe map, you have to fool the TT website by saying you have a different model (try 910 or 720). There are plenty of reports to say they work fine, but TT think they are too big for SD cards.
aris1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the TomTom website they have a 'Map of Western & Central Europe v7.10 which includes:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Hungary, Monaco, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Republic of Ireland, the Netherlands and Vatican City

No mention of Greece - can someone confirm that this does include Athens then or is it only the v650.1052 mentioned by mikealder in the link above that has Athens?

The website says it is 2036MB in size - whew! Will one then have to use a 4GB card on the XL to use this map or does it fit on a 2gb - has this successfully been done?

Thanks,

Aris
aris1234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of research shows that both TeleAtlas and Navteq both have map data for Greece - not complete, but enough to make it worthwhile. The question remains now - why doesn't TomTom license this and make it available? Very annoying! I see TomTom is in the process of buying TeleAtlas - perhaps when (or if) this is done, we'll get more map data available.

I also see that Garmin sell some partial map data for Greece for their units. Annoying as I prefer the TomTom hardware which runs on Linux!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: