Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Orange SPV M3100 GPS possible?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Orange SPV M3100 GPS possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesKBLinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Orange SPV M3100 GPS possible? Reply with quote

I'm new to this technology but I need an in-car address finder. I don't really want to have a separate standalone unit and I have heard that it is possible to get GPS onto my Orange SPV M3100. Is this right and if so how do I go about getting whatever is required? Any help muchly appreciated.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install a navigation solution such as TomTom. You will need a GPS receiver but TomTom do a bundle of software and receiver.
JamesKBLinton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You can install a navigation solution such as TomTom. You will need a GPS receiver but TomTom do a bundle of software and receiver.

I have just called TOMTOM however they advise that my Orange SPV SmartPhone is not on their list of devices which will work, but maybe someone here knows differently perhaps?
They did say if it were then I would need some hardware connected via BlueTooth to my phone, and some of their software too; I had wanted this to be a one-box solution so as to avoid carrying around separate items and so I didn't have to worry about leaving a standalone GPS device on show in the car for theives. Howwever given TOMTOM's response it looks as though I'll just have to buy a separate standalone unit and take the risk?
I see that www.ebuyer.com are doing a cheap unit - MYGUIDE 3100 - £89.99 delivered - is this any good?
Thanks in advance of your help/advice

Last edited by JamesKBLinton on Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Bluetooth GPS devices which you can hide out of sight, and switch on with the ignition. I'm sure the more knowledgeable members hereablouts will be able to advise you further...

Cheers, 7&Y
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesKBLinton wrote:
Darren wrote:

I have just called TOMTOM however they advise that my Orange SPV SmartPhone is not on their list of devices which will work, but maybe someone here knows differently perhaps?
They did say if it were then I would need some hardware connected via BlueTooth to my phone, and some of their software too; I had wanted this to be a one-box solution so as to avoid carrying around separate items and so I didn't have to worry about leaving a standalone GPS device on show in the car for theives. Howwever given TOMTOM's response it looks as though I'll just have to buy a separate standalone unit and take the risk?
I see that www.ebuyer.com are doing a cheap unit - MYGUIDE 3100 - £89.99 delivered - is this any good?
Thanks in advance of your help/advice

I run TomTom 6 on an Orange SPV M3100 and it works just fine. I just chuck the BT receiver in the glove box when I'm not using it.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
MikC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Route 66 for £45 from easydevices.com to run on my Orange SPV M600 with a Navman Spin 100 from Totalpda which includes a BT receiver. Then sold the Navman software on ebay. Works like a dream.
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran TT6 on my M3100 for around 6 months, got totally sick of it locking up at the worst possible time.. Then having to restart it...
Even with only the phones normal software on board plus TT it still locked up. Yes it worked but I had to reduce the POI's on screen i.e speed cams.

You had to sort of "let it settle" before plotting a route or it would lock up at that point as well..

Got so bad in the end (lost in Liverpool !) that I gave up and bought a TT One. That has not been an ounce of trouble at all... I run that with traffic via the 3G phone, very useful..

By the way I did try traffic on a free trial with the M3100, don't even bother, with traffic enabled the software (TT) slowed down to a crawl and then curled it's toes up and died...

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but I like to say it like it is, I guess if there is a later version of firmware for the M3100 it may now be better but I'll stick with the TT One.

Phil-w
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil-w wrote:
...I guess if there is a later version of firmware for the M3100 it may now be better but I'll stick with the TT One.
Phil-w

This is indeed the case. The latest firmware is here.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paul,

I'll try the update, don't really need it now as such but it would be handy for hols, save having the TT one and the Phone.. (I know, still need the GPS RX but it's not very big!).

Phil
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil-w wrote:
Even with only the phones normal software on board plus TT it still locked up. Yes it worked but I had to reduce the POI's on screen i.e speed cams.
Make sure you go to Enable/ Disable POI and uncheck EVERY box in the POI list as this is a known problem that slows down the software on a PDA, use the Warn When Near POI function to pop up a warning when approaching a speed camera (or other POI) as this places far less burden on the processor - Mike
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil-w wrote:
Cheers Paul,

I'll try the update, don't really need it now as such but it would be handy for hols, save having the TT one and the Phone.. (I know, still need the GPS RX but it's not very big!).

Phil

Just noticed your PM. How are you getting on?

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have mentioned this on the XDA forum but after updating the M3100 with the official orange firmware it all went pear shaped, no longer able to connect to the M3100 from the TTOne, even the SE bluetooth handsfree only works in one direction..

Oh and the phone locks up more than normal... Sometimes it makes you wonder how we got out of the caves...

Anyway, decided to see if I could "Brick" the M3100 by putting WM6 schaps rom in the thing... It works !!, well nearly, at least the TTone now sees it and it looks like I should be able to get it to connect. Will report back. (oh and the BT hfree works OK !)

Phil-w
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Paul (and anyone else interested !)

I installed the WM6 Schaps rom into the Orange M3100.

It still works as a phone which is always useful Surprised

Anyway it has not crashed since installing and now everything that didn't work with the official upgrade now works including TT traffic to my TT one via BTooth. I have tried my old version 6 TT for the PDA back on the M3100 as well, it never was reliable on it but after around 100 miles of use it hasn't played up once !!! I've now reloaded things like Sky*e and various other progs etc onto the M3100 in an attempt to crash it but so far so good.

I did have to fiddle a little to get the TT one to work OK, just problems with which type of connection to use, I ended up with Orange contract and WAP... all manually selected with the very simple TT prompts.

Anyway cheers Paul for mentioning the WM6 rom on the XDA forum it has solved my issues (hopefully) with the SatNav problems on this forum.

A worth while upgrade, must send the guy a paypal donation...

Thanks again Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: