Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please Help compleat newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help compleat newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Please Help compleat newbie Reply with quote

i just recieved the Haicom 204E with TomTom2 set it all up and getting a solid red light on the Haicom but i am gettin this on the Axim 5 when im starting TT2.

current location
?
gps status
gps position unreliable

should i be set to Com 1 or usb ? could it be the hardware as the software seems ok

tried:
· I can't get a fix most of the time, is my unit defective ?Perhaps, but perform several simple tests. 1) Make sure you eject the sleeve or card, power the Pocket PC off, insert the sleeve or card and power on the Pocket PC. Now perform a soft reset. Wait for approx 30 secs for your Pocket PC to stop loading all it's startup programs and let it settle down. Now load the GPS Software, Power on the GPS device (if there's a software power button), and now wait. You should find this is a better way of cutting down the TTFF time. 2) Make sure you are outside, and not hindered by the car roof or windows, and that you are not near a tall building or tree. Once you've obtained your First Fix, take your GPS unit into the car and you should have a better fix in starting your journey. If you lose the fix since you've entered your vehicle, it could be that you have a coated windscreen, or there is electrical interference, and may require an external GPS antenna.

Any help would be great

thanks

AlanB
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sinner,

Do you know if the gps reciever is talking to your PDA ?
You can check this by going to the properties screen and selecting gps status - if you have black dots moving between the small icons showing a satellite dish and a pda and the time shown then you've selected the right settings for your reciever.

If so take the two outside in clear view of teh sky for 10 or 15 minutes to allow the unit to download teh data for your current position (only need to do this once after this it should take less than a minute to get a fix).

DinAlt
sinner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers got it fixed in the end Smile was on usb should have been on com1 ahh well we all got to start somwhere Smile)

One more thing guys, my brother has given me maps of europe but i dont know how to install them ??

cheers

AlanB
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only install them if you have the complete package, including the activation code on the pack. It's near certain to be a breach of the licence agreement to install them on multiple Pocket PCs.

Assuming you have the package including the code and the CDs, and it isn't in use on another machine, it should be a case of running the installer on the CD, inputting the activation code when required, and following the prompts. I'm afraid I can't give you any more specific advice as I don't have the package myself.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: