Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcodes dont work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcodes dont work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Postcodes dont work Reply with quote

Hi All

I have been following the "STICKY THREAD" on Tom Tom 2 post codes and got this far.
First off i downloaded just the one group, unzipped it and transfered the folder to the storage card where the map is on the PDA with the codes in. This did not work so i deleted the folder and just loaded in the codes to the card minus the folder. BINGO or so i thought

When i tap on Navigate to, POI i can bring up the Code search icons ie WS Midlands however when i tap on this i get the following example
13.6 miles WS11 1SA
14.1 miles WS11 1RY
14.5 miles WS11 !RU
etc etc along with a key pad

Now when i attempt to tape in a postcode relating to one of the above references i manage to type in a couple of letters and one number, then the timer pops up and just spins around for ever and ever and nothing else, No completion of the post code, or street, pops up. what am i doing wrong please as it is driving me nuts and has been for days

Alan
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

I haven’t used the Post Codes yet, as I load all of my destinations into custom POIs. I use the web based Streetmap to convert post code into a set of coordinates.

Which post codes group have you used? I can try it myself and we can compare notes.

Just a thought, what PPC are you using and what sort of storage card are you using? If you’re using a Scandisk SD card then you may have a problem.

Alternatively some PPCs (e.g. iPAQ 3970 with ROM 2.10) have speed problems when accessing the SD cards if the updated drivers haven’t been loaded.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: still not working Reply with quote

thanks for the reply

i am using the codes posted on the "stick thread" at the top of this forum, The one in question is "the Midlands"

I have an Ipaq 3900 dont know what version but it is as it came out of the box
Just found the following
compaq ipaq H3900
Product Revision level 2.5
Rom version 1.11.00 ENG
os Version CE 3.0

I am using a Genuine HP 128 meg storage card everything else works fine just the post codes

Regards Alan
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

I’ve loaded all of the Midlands POs onto my storage card and they work OK. Confused

So, are your *.OV2 and *.BMP files for the Code Search in the same folder as your GB maps and any other POIs that you have?

Do your other POIs work OK?

Have you tried a soft reset?

Sorry about the short question, but it’s getting late. Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: pulling out my hair Reply with quote

Hello again

Here is the latest update

I have checked that the codesearch 0v2s and bmps are in the right place by doing the following

I wired up the gps and made a new poi called something stupid, i then asked tom tom to navigate to this point which it did, Then i checked to see where Something stupid was and it is in the same place as all the code search post codes nestling in the middle of them, so i know that everything is in the right place on the right card

Whilst wired up to the gps i tried to recall a post code, tom tom will plan a route to a post code as listed as a poi but it will not open up any street within that particular post code area just take me to that area in general.

all my other poi's work that i have tried

I have tried loads of soft resets but nothing different with the post codes i am at a complete loss any help would be appreciated
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching POI files can be remarkably slow - but you may well have a specific problem that affects the x.1x ROMs on the 3900 series iPAQs (3950 ROM 1.11 and 3970 ROM 2.10 - though the 3970 can't use the updates I've listed in this thread - search the HP drivers site separately for the SD fix for the 3970 and note that EUU4 hasn't been issued for the 3970).

If you haven't yet installed the SD driver update on your 3950, do so - that should improve the performance of your SD card tremendously, which translates with most cards to a gratifying improvement in TomTom Navigator 2 performance. You can get that update here (click the word here in the smaller type).

Whilst you're at it, you can also install the latest End User Update for Pocket PC 2002 - EUU4. For some reason, HP have only released this for the 3850 and 3950. You can get that here.

With both these updates, make sure you read and follow the instructions carefully. If you don't allow the update process to complete properly, you could trash your iPAQ's ROM, leaving it in need of a visit to a HP service centre. Neither, however, requires a hard reset, which would wipe your iPAQ clean.

It would also be interesting if you posted any codes or similar markings from your SD card.

David
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: visited sites Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I have visited both of thesites you listed for the updates but on looking closer both sites list the downloads for the 3900SERIES and not the 3900 specificaly

my model is a 3900 and not 3950 so are the up dates no good for me????

the memory card states on the front 128 meg Memory card with the HP logo with the following numbers
PN253475822
SPS253861-001

and on the back

AK0303LQ
Taiwan

Thats all that on the card hope this helps

Alan
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROM 1.11 on a 3900 series can only be a 3950 or 3955 (which are identical, actually - the last digit is just a marketing designator). For a double check, take the iPAQ out of its cover pack, case or expansion pack and look on the back. There should be a big label on the back - if it's like my 3970, the model number should be to the immediate left of the serial number bar code with the word MODEL above it.

There were only two models in the 3900 series - 395x (no Bluetooth, 32MB ROM) and 397x (Bluetooth, 48MB ROM) - in both cases the unknown number x is either 0 or 5.

395x use ROM 1.xx for Pocket PC 2002, and, I believe, ROM 3.xx for Pocket PC 2003. 397x use ROM 2.xx for Pocket PC 2002 and ROM 4.xx for Pocket PC 2003.

If you want to double check that you've got the right updates, start at http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/index.html?cat=iPAQ%20Internet%20Devices - which is the main HP iPAQ download page. You have Windows CE 3.0 on your iPAQ, which means you have Pocket PC 2002 (2003 is based on CE 4.2).

The code on the back of the card was what I feared I'd see - AK0303LQ, or more specifically the L letter, means old type Sandisk, precisely the type of SD card known to cause very poor performance in some circumstances. The SD driver update will help, but you'll probably have to replace the card to get things working as quickly as they should.

The difference between a good SD card and a bad one in TomTom Navigator can be amazing. The problem is poor design of the SD card - it's not a bug in TomTom Navigator (of all the applications on your Pocket PC, Navigator is likely to be the one that will work your memory card the hardest).

SimpleTech are a good brand - they seem always to sell one of the 'good' Japanese types. They're available from clove.co.uk. The best price / capacity trade off at the moment is probably 256MB - though it's obviously up to you to set your budget.

David
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Thanks for your advise, i have updated both files with 100% success however i must be missing something here or just stupid,

everything works 100% all programmes and Tom Tom but i can not get my head around these post codes. when i tap on navigate to Poi and fetch up a code search, say for the midlands, it will display the following example

20.9miles B69 2LG
20.9 Miles B69 2LH
21.1 Miles B69 1TF

If i highlight say one of the above and then go to type in a post code within that area depending how quickly i do it it will either go generally to the area highlighted or search for ages for the code typed in but still find the general area with no defined streets

Why cant i get any streets to come up within a particular post code??

I have removed them all twice from the storage card and added different ones but still no luck

I am ready to throw the lot out of the window

Alan
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a little confused here Confused

i thought post code support was already included in ttv2

re
Door-to-door navigation using house numbers and postcodes.

if i click "navigate to" and goto address etc, where do i add the post code>? or do i have to install the above to have this option>?

all i can see is area for city and street name etc.

can someone please clarify how to use tt post code bit.

Regards
Nick
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

pgchimp wrote:
If i highlight say one of the above and then go to type in a post code within that area depending how quickly i do it it will either go generally to the area highlighted or search for ages for the code typed in but still find the general area with no defined streets.

I think I see where you are going astray, when you select 'Navigate to POI' and then choose code search you should not highlight any of those in the list (unless one of them is the one you want!) but instead you should start typing in the Name: field.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick412 wrote:
im a little confused here Confused
i thought post code support was already included in ttv2

Not confused. TomTom never fully supported UK Post Codes. They only make an appearance when you enter a destination road, TomTom displays the road together with the first four characters of the Post Code to aid in identifying the correct one should there be multiple results, i.e High Street AB22, High Street AB21 etc.
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: No luck Reply with quote

thanks for you advise, still doing no good

I tap on Navigate to Go to POi Brings up the assorted codes as i listed before.........Then whenever i type the first TWO LETTERS in the NAME BOX the tom tom timer starts spinning for approx 15 seconds.then i can type in a number......... Then the timer spins again

If i then tap on ok and go to the Navigator screen the GPS is calculating the route for me to the area of the post code but still no streets for selection

Help
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, are your maps on an SD Card and if so what make is it?
pgchimp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi darren

If you would like to look back to my response to Dave in this post

Dave asked me the same question post number 5 and i replied post number 6 Hope this helps.

Dave reckons the card is CRAP, but i would of thought that the addresses would of turned up before now, even if i waited indefinetely, which i have done so on many occasions

Alan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: