Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Corrections
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Corrections
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Map Corrections Reply with quote

Is there a way to correct a type of crossing or junction on the map? There have been a few occasions where there is a + crossing where you have to stop and give way to left/right traffic but on the map you just drive over them not indicating that it is a junction. I'm sure many people have come across this situation.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I can't work out what the correction would consist of.
I haven't seen ANY junctions on the TT map which tells you that you need to stop. How is it indicated differently?
kinch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Sorry, but I can't work out what the correction would consist of.
I haven't seen ANY junctions on the TT map which tells you that you need to stop. How is it indicated differently?

Im assuming he means that at a cross junction the right of way through it is reversed.
Therefore if you were travelling along a road toward a cross juntion and you need to give way to the left and right, the maps show that you dont need to give way and it is the traffic from the left or right that would need to give way.

This woudl make a difference to what you are told if you needed to travel left or right.

And i apologise, i cant help. Sorry.
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the question not being very clear. It's hard to explain so let's try again.

There is a cross junction ahead.
I am heading stright across,
TomTom should say "At the end of the road, go straight ahead"
This indicates to the driver that you have to stop and give way to traffic left and right before crossing the road.
Well TomTom sees this as a straight stretch of road, so if a driver wasn't paying attention to what was in front of him, he might just have driven straight over the junction (i know it's not likely) and may have had a nasty accident with vehicles coming from the left/right at the junction.
So, my question is:
Is there a way of correcting the map to show that this is a cross junction on both sides of the road.
I've also come across several T-ish junctions that the map thinks it's just a continuous stretch of road. But no, you have to stop and give way and TomTom should say "At the end of the road, turn left" for example. So that section of road needs correcting.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thanks, got you now....

Yes it is annoying when the spoken directions don't match reality very well.
Trouble is there is nothing visible on the map to say what the priority/right of way is, so I don't think there will be anything to trigger a spoken instruction.

Normally the instructions just come from the "shape" of the roads ahead and even then it gets it wrong on the odd occasion.
When there is something specific like your T-junction example, I've reported it using Mapshare (Map Corrections/Correct a map error/Report other error/Other/On map), but that just sends a report, it doesn't change anything immediately.

I'm still waiting for it to remind me to stop at the traffic lights BEFORE doing the left turn it has just told me to do three times! Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always felt that the basic navigation philosophy was to tell you if you need to do something other than stay on the road you're using. Hence on my way home, the right turn I make is NOT mentioned by the TT, because it's a bend with a "side" road junction going straight on ahead, whereas my "main" road continues, but by means of a right angle bend!! I have had a few "Go straight ahead"s, but normally I expect (and get) nothing at a crossroads where I have to give way. I would not try to rely on the device to warn me when I need to give way - road markings and/or signs are a far more reliable (and up to date) method.

To confuse me, my new GO720 tells me to "keep right" at virtually every layby I pass. My GO710 mounted alongside it says nothing. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

To confuse me, my new GO720 tells me to "keep right" at virtually every layby I pass. My GO710 mounted alongside it says nothing. Confused

Do you by any chance have a TTS voice loaded on the 720 and a "real" one on the 710?
Since I've been trying out the TTS on my 720, I've noticed quite a few more instructions get slipped in. For example, if I've got a long straight run ahead, it says something like "Continue straight on the Axxx for 6.3 miles" when the real voice wouldn't say anything at all.
It also throws up the odd comment like "route cleared" when you tap the button, and just ONCE it said "recalculating route" when I went a different way to what it was expecting, but it's never done it again!
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of Mapshare, are there any TT1V2 owners actually receiving (downloading) mapshare updates? I can upload, no problems. Never had a download so far as I know. If I had I don't think I'd know anyhow. Shocked

When you view a corrected mapshare item, what does it look like on the tomtom screen? any different?

I know someone in know will answer, so thanks in advance.

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Do you by any chance have a TTS voice loaded on the 720 and a "real" one on the 710?

Yes, I have, but it's not the voices, it's the mapping. Peer closely at this and you'll see the layby shows and behaves as a bit of road which the GO has to (green arrow) keep right when passing it. It does it for side motorways too (e.g. round M4 junctions 8/9 etc, and at the M25 interchange). No such green arrow on the 710.

(Anybody wishes to comment about photos and driving, I've already explained elsewhere that I do this using a camera on a mount - all I need do is reach one hand up to my shoulder, feel for and press the clicking thing).

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVR wrote:
While we're on the subject of Mapshare, are there any TT1V2 owners actually receiving (downloading) mapshare updates? I can upload, no problems. Never had a download so far as I know. If I had I don't think I'd know anyhow. Shocked

When you view a corrected mapshare item, what does it look like on the tomtom screen? any different?

I know someone in know will answer, so thanks in advance.

They don't look any different on the map.

I've got one you can check to see if you are receiving any.
Brewhouse Lane in Putney London SW15 was on the original maps as Brewhouse Street.
When I first reported it by Mapshare, it showed up on my unit straight away as I has "use my own corrections" ticked in the preferences, but went back to the original if I just used corrections from elsewhere. Now, however, it shows up if I have some of the other "trust" settings ticked, so it must have been accepted by TomTom or reported by some other people.

On a search, the original name still shows up as "Brewhouse Street SW15" and the new one shows as just "Brewhouse Lane" with no postcode
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Leisure Road, Latitude: 51.447935, Longitude: -2.499861. Zoom right down.

On the original maps it has no directional arrows. Since I notified it, it now has in and out directional arrows (if you accept corrections from old men) - it used to tell me to cross the roundabout, fourth exit, now it only says third exit - still wrong, but they won't take out that silly little spur road yet, even though it was a misplaced advance marker for Leisure Road.

TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I have checked both occurances but I don't appear to have the corrections mentioned. Crying or Very sad

Have I got something wrong, here? I have subscribed to various POI's, cant find any changes. The maps updates are set to all options including "reported by a few". What do we think is wrong here?

I'd be interested to know.

Any help/advice greatly received.

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
. . . and just ONCE it said "recalculating route" when I went a different way to what it was expecting, but it's never done it again!

The i3 always says if it's recalculating the route, and I really miss it on the TT 720. It's not such a problem if you've intentially taken a different route, but if you intended to follow the given route it's a useful warning that you've gone wrong, and you can decide whether to turn round.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:
. . . and just ONCE it said "recalculating route" when I went a different way to what it was expecting, but it's never done it again!

The i3 always says if it's recalculating the route, and I really miss it on the TT 720. It's not such a problem if you've intentially taken a different route, but if you intended to follow the given route it's a useful warning that you've gone wrong, and you can decide whether to turn round.
I've never heard "recalculating". But with the device only slightly below my line of vision, I notice the flickering of recalculation and that's not counting the "Turn around when possible". But I have to say, my 720 seems far too willing to recalculate along the direction I've gone, rather than telling me to turn around - The GO710 is not quite so willing and (even with Silent voice) indicates that it has told me to turn round - shows a reverse green arrow.
TVR wrote:
While we're on the subject of Mapshare, are there any TT1V2 owners actually receiving (downloading) mapshare updates?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd read somewhere that you can upload mapshare corrections to Tom Tom, but can't download any until you get a v7 map?? Do you see a difference when you make a correction? Tell you what, why don't you do a test by going to my Leisure Road and reversing the directions I submitted, to see if they actually appear on your map after you've uploaded them? If they do, you're closer to the answer. Just remember to reverse them again after you've done it. Tell me if you try this, so that I can correct it (again) if you get it wrong. Twisted Evil

TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis Wrote -
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd read somewhere that you can upload mapshare corrections to Tom Tom, but can't download any until you get a v7 map?? Do you see a difference when you make a correction? Tell you what, why don't you do a test by going to my Leisure Road and reversing the directions I submitted, to see if they actually appear on your map after you've uploaded them? If they do, you're closer to the answer. Just remember to reverse them again after you've done it. Tell me if you try this, so that I can correct it (again) if you get it wrong.

Interesting I thought the minimum was 675 maps? Yes I do see the modifications I do. Did my modifications reach others? N53.78324, w1.07026 (New Street, Selby, North Yorkshire) In this area I have added lots of local parking and if you look ay the road it should have two one-way streets meet each other, head on, then turn to right (as you look at the screen) Have you all got this info?

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: