Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom program disc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom program disc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: tom tom program disc Reply with quote

hope some one can help, haveing lots of trouble wth axim x5 + tom tom 2,
after major crash im trying to get the programs to reload. ( no success )
i must be thick !. when you insert the gps reciever disc ( cf-30lp ) into your cd drive, is it auto start. bedcause i have to explore it manualy and then i still dont get anywhere. im running win 98. many thanks, geof.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In ActiveSync You can go to Tools...Add/Remove Programs, and there you can reload the TomTom stuff. No need to juggle with the CDs.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
geof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: tomtom, disc Reply with quote

thanks for the help, but still no go. it syncs but that seems about all i can get out of it, im not even sure ive got the tom tom on the pc. cant open any of the files. im getting a card reader do you think that will help, many thanks, geof.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have ActiveSync running then there is no easy way to re-install TomTom. Make sure ActiveSync is back on your PC before you even try to reload the TomTom Disc 1 (the CF driver disc won't help you!)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
geof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: tomtom disc Reply with quote

thanks again, you say the tomtom disc 1, i only have the one disc, the cf-30lp, also i had to do a hard restart ( remove both batteries ) and i left the cf in, would it have affected the tom tom.many thanks, geof.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving the CF in during hard reset does not have any effect.

If you do not legally own the two TomTom CDs then this would be the end of this thread.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
geof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: tomtom disc Reply with quote

thanks again, i bought the axim + tom tom of a dealer on ebay, i presumed new. ( will i never learn ) now ive got to try to get some response of him, many thanks geof.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A legitimate copy of TomTom Navigator 2 comes with one or more CDs (depending on the country version) and an activation code (on a label on the package somewhere).

If you don't have the activation code, then I think it's likely you do not have a legitimate copy of TomTom Navigator 2. I have heard rumours of copies of TomTom Navigator that have been hacked to disable the activation code, but have no experience of this myself. I only have need of Navigator 2 UK, and the package is nestling safely in my desk drawer.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Never buy TT second hand. Reply with quote

http://tt-uk.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tt_uk.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_sid=-oTin54h&p_lva=83&p_admin=&p_li=&p_faqid=92&p_created=1069701047
says

"TomTom Navigator 2 requires online software activation. All copies of TomTom Navigator 2 are sold with a product code. This product code can be used to activate the software on two devices.

Second hand TomTom Navigator 2 products are likely to have already been activated once or more by the first buyer and the product code may therefore no longer be valid.

For this reason we advise our customers not to purchase TomTom Navigator 2 second hand. If you have already purchased a second hand TomTom Navigator 2 product and cannot activate the software, we suggest you return it to the seller."
geof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: tom tom disc Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies, it was working when i got it, its just that after a hard reset im haveing problems, dont know if its the tom tom or the axim,
i bought it described new of ebay and payed by paypal so have no address, ive sent two emails so far without any reply. so maybe thats another lesson learnt the hard way, many thanks, geof.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no eBay expert, but if you were emailed an invoice to pay after you won the auction, that might contain the address of the seller (though I'm not sure if that appears only if they take payment methods other than PayPal).

It is probably worth contacting eBay and explaining the situation to them - that you appear not to have received the full software package including the activation code - it was merely pre-installed. They can take a pretty dim view on software piracy.

You may even be able to chargeback the transaction via PayPal if you enlist the help of eBay and PayPal - though I believe the chances of that being possible depends how long ago the transaction was.

It seems silly just to give up - as a retail copy of TomTom Navigator 2 UK is around 100 pounds. There is an element of "caveat emptor" involved - but it sounds as if the seller might have ripped off both you (by not supplying what was described) and TomTom (by pirating their software).

It's possible that the seller activated the software on the Pocket PC he sold using his or her own key. If so, that's a breach of the licence agreement. You have to transfer the entire package if you're selling - you can't activate your new Pocket PC, hold on to the package and transfer the original Pocket PC with the software still installed. That would be just the same as giving away or selling a copy of any other licenced software whilst continuing to use it. Just because you can activate multiple Pocket PCs with one copy of TomTom Navigator 2 doesn't mean that the licence agreement allows you to use the software on all the machines you activated.

TomTom may be able to enquire further - I don't know precisely how their system works, but they might be able to figure out the key used to activate your Pocket PC (if it was activated rather than having one of the rumoured to exist hacked versions of the program with activation disabled installed). If they can work out the key that was used to activate the Pocket PC you have, I suppose they could disable an activation key on their server and bar it from eligibility for future upgrades if they find a licence breach has been committed (whether they can and will do this, I don't know). They may even have contact details for the person who first used that activation key if he or she registered with TomTom.

David
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Ebay Fraud Reply with quote

Hi Geof,

Don't give up - if you look on Ebay's home page and follow the Help/Reporting Ebay fraud links, you will see that you can request the contact details of someone you are (or have been) involved in a transaction with.

I went through a similar situation with someone on Ebay recently (although not with software) and if you request their information, you will receive an email with the address and telephone number that they registered with Ebay when they joined.

The only downside is that they also get a copy of your information too. Alternatively, go to Square Trade.com as they are a mediation service which might be able to resolve your problem with the seller.

Ebay say they take a very dim view on fraud and have something called 'Buyer Protection' I think, which means that you can get back a percentage of what you paid for the item. It's worth having a look at.

HTH. Good luck. Thumbs Up

Bo Peep. Angel
geof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: tom tom Reply with quote

many thanks every body, i hadnt quite given up yet, ive got nothing to lose trying. i will keep you informed. geof.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: