Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTHome for x20 Disappears from TT Website !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTHome for x20 Disappears from TT Website !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedkay
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: TTHome for x20 Disappears from TT Website ! Reply with quote

I have noticed today that the link to download the latest version of TTHome for the x20 series has disappeared from the x20 download section of the TT website !

Could it be that they have finally accepted that the program is wrecking the devices that connect to it ? I am on my second unit and unfortunately had to connect to Home 2.0 to register the device code change (for the replacement unit - that took TT a week to accomplish!) in order to access my Traffic subscription. I took the precaution of ringing the support line before I did this and insisted that the techie stayed on the phone while I went through the risky business of connecting to TTHome 2.0 - but despite her guidance TTHome 2.0 wiped most of the content on my 720 hard drive after it offered me a firmware update (which the techie advised me to accept) and which update hung half-way through ! I ended up with a new symbol flashing on my 720 splashscreen - a red circle with a white cross in it - and the unit was hung at that screen. When I reconnected and checked what was on the units hard drive via My Computer I found that almost all the content had been wiped, leaving a couple of corrupt files and an empty (and also corrupt) folder with no name.
My techie was completely baffled at this point and said there was no other option than to send it back for repair !

However I decided to try one last resort before I parted company with my 2nd 720 - and manged to get the unit working again by doing a full format of the drive and copying back onto it the manual backup I did when I first received the replacement unit (and before TTHome 2.0 got its' destructive little hands on it.

All this happened despite my having taken the TT 'workaround' of disabling Bluetooth on the unit before I connected to TTHome.

I have discovered that my Windows Firewall did not have an exception allowing TTHome 2.0 to run - (although it did do that automtically for the previous version of Home) - and I wonder if this glaring ommission in the software could be causing or contributing to the xulrunner.exe error message I was getting - I am not about to find out though because TTHome 2.0 in its' current form will not be gaining entry to my PC again !

I have also discovered that the TTHome installer does not remove the previous version of Home - so you end up with both versions on your PC. If you run the unistaller for Home it doesn't completely remove it, leaving folders and files in My Docs and Program Files, and not removing all its' Registry entries.

I did try to connect to the version of Home that comes on the disk with the unit, so at least I could set my password in case it gets nicked (brilliant idea TT, making it impossible to set the pin code directly on the device !) but sadly, despite that version of Home telling me that I need to download a file in order to operate the 720 in Home and me duly downloading it, all I get when I try to use that part of Home is a grey screen !

TT have told me that they are looking into the problems with Home 2.0 ....... desperately I should think !

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: