Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems installing on windows XP.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems installing on windows XP.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Problems installing on windows XP. Reply with quote

Hello, I have just purchased the SysOnChip GPS CF Plus and im having problems installing it onto my JVC Mininote which is running windows XP pro.

First of all, there is no viewer for windows xp provided with the receiver and secondly, im not sure if i have installed the correct drivers.

has anyone had this problem aswell?

i would appreciate anyhelp anyone can give me regarding this situation.

yours, Ken Barkley.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What application did you plan to use it with? I assume the notebook has Bluetooth (apologies if this is a stupid question but I had to ask!)

You could download GPSInfo which will confirm you have a connection with the receiver from http://www.griffinnet.co.uk/files/ppgps/bt308.zip .
KJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im planning to use it with Microsoft autoroute until i can afford a copy of tomtom. i just tried using Holux viewer and it doesnt pick up any staelites, and only runs in 4800 baudrate, i need a viewer than can configure the receiever, unless im totally lost on the whole situation.

thanks for sharp reply, any more help would be great.
KJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and no sorry, the notebook does no have bluetooth Sad, im using the compact flash, with a pcmia adaptor.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake there, you clearly wrote 'CF' and I mistakenly read 'BT'!

Assuming the drivers installed correctly you should have an additional virtual COM port. If you re-boot the laptop with the CF GPS removed, and then insert it when the system is running you should get a message saying 'CF GPS inserted....COM5' or similar.

With the GPS inserted, what COM Port options do you have in Autoroute?
KJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gps is in com4, in autoroute, every option in the GPS tab is un selectable, im presuming this is because it has not picked up the gps receiever. i currently running GPSinfo, and on 5800 baudrate it is receiving data, but on the GPS INFO tab it just shows a red circle with 26 at the top of the globe.. i gather this is my location. i downloaded a free gps program called GPSS http://www.gpss.co.uk and this show that it is recieving gps data, but it says im about 3000 miles south of london (in the middle of the ocean south of senegal). this is first time ive ever sued any gps product so as you can tell im not really sure what is going on, my main problem is the software provided with the sysonchip gps cf plus does not include a version of the viewer for windows xp based machines.

sorry for being a pain, any ideas?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that GPS Info shows data being received means you're nearly there!

You need to allow it time to download the almanac and get a first time fix, this means leaving it in a position with a good sky view and waiting until it has a position fix, this may be up to 30 mins the first time Thumbs Up

Last edited by Darren on Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
KJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, its me being impatient then. i will go sit outside for a bit then, thansk very much for the help. wil lpost results later!
Spike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: KJB Problem with XP & Syson CF+ Reply with quote

Hi there KGB,

I would like to ask, has the CF+ installed without any problems? IE: No reported error numbers etc?
I made a post to this forum last week and in it I said I had problems with the CF+ and my Fujitsu Amilo running XP home. I get an "code10"error when I install.
Regards

Spike.
KJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi spike, no windows xp detected it all fine the problem was me being impatient. no error codes, and that was using a pcmia adaptor from my digital camera.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: KJB Problem with XP & Syson CF+ Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
I get an "code10"error when I install.

Code 10 is a generic 'Device cannot start' error. Have you tried uninstalling, removeing any remaining registry entries then re-installing?
Spike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: code 10 error Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the reply, yes, I have tried this, also tried (at Syson's suggestion) another way of installing it. I have had no problems installing this on my other 2 laptops, but they are both running 98 rather than XP.
Having said all that, I will try again, as you have suggested in case I have missed something! I will let you know what the outcome is!
Once again though, I must say that the Sysonchip CF+ certainly seems to work well!

Regards

Spike. Thumbs Up
UKB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,
I've just bought myself a "SysOnChip GPS CF Plus II" with a CF adapter to be used with my SONY viao laptop. The software I'm using on my laptop is Microsoft Autoroute 2005.

I have been trying for a while now but still unable to get my first satellie fix. The installation of the driver went smootly without any error and I've also download the GPSS (from http://www.gpss.co.uk) as suggested by KJB and also "GPS Utility" (from http://www.gpsu.co.uk). Form both software, I believe my GPS receiver is receiving the data but I still have no idea why I cannot get a satellie fix. Here are my system details and any help will be much appreciated...

Laptop: Sony Vaio PCG-FX705
COM: Com 3
Baudrate: 4800
Interface: NMEA

Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you outside (you need to be) and how long have you given it? A first factory fix can take 30 -40 mins.
UKB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Are you outside (you need to be) and how long have you given it? A first factory fix can take 30 -40 mins.

Hi Darren,
Thanks for the reply. I've tried for about 10-15 mins so far. Probably I need to wait a little bit longer and see if it can get the fix.

Since I'm new to all this, can you suggest which software is best to use when testing to see if you GPS device is working properly. I've used the two mentioned in my previous post, only to see some figures coming but no idea whatsoever what they are... Also when it says that the GPS need to have a clear view to sky, how clear does the GPS device need to see the sky...? Do I need to go to an open field in a park or...? And once I got my first fix, will it still need to take this long to get a satellie fix next time using it...?

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated... Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: