Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Since PPC ROM u/g TomTom Camera POI and alerts are not right
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Since PPC ROM u/g TomTom Camera POI and alerts are not right

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Since PPC ROM u/g TomTom Camera POI and alerts are not right Reply with quote

I have tried to find the answer to my problem on the existing posts. Please forgive me if I have missed the answer.
I have a MIO A701 and Tom Tom mobile 5.210 with various POIs from Pocketgpsworld, including the speed camera database and spoken alerts (with a bespoke data.chk) on the SD card. It has been working perfectly. Then I upgraded the MIO ROM, which in iteslf works fine. I re-ran TomTom to load the application (only) to the MIO main memory as before - everything else TomTom was on the SD card, unchanged. But now:
1. POIs don't appear on the Tom Tom map, e.g when viewed in advanced planning, but do show in TomTom settings as avaialable and enabled.
2. When navigating, TomTom does recognise the POIs with audible alerts but they are the default sounds (cow, cuckoo etc).
To be doubly sure I (re) copied a backed-up data.chk to the SD card but it made no difference. Sorry if I've missed something obvious, but how do I get back to my previous TomTom/POI configuration please? Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many POIs have you installed? As for the data.chk file, that's an old method, the .ogg file solution is much better see here.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why mess around with the data.chk file? use the ogg file method as you can store the required files to the memory card, there are a number of free downloads available from This and some basic instructions as to what is needed to set them up - the big plus point is you don't loose the warnings when you re-install the application and you can have spoken alerts for upto all 39 Custom POI categories installed - Mike
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren/Mike,
Thanks for your kind responses.Smile
POIs: I have 37 POI categories enabled to display, and 34 other categories set not to display. It all worked fine before I needed to re-install the TomTom application.
I appreciate data.chk file is is the old method, but I had it set-up with the voices/sounds I liked and right now I just want to get back to the previous state. Plus, when I 'browse map' the POIs are not displaying visually.
I must be able to reinstate the previous set-up properly... Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data.chk file that needs to be swapped with the one containing the voice warnings is located programs/ Navigator folder it won't be on the memory card if you installed the application to the device - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac-The-Knife wrote:
I have 37 POI categories enabled to display, and 34 other categories set not to display. It all worked fine before I needed to re-install the TomTom application

Are you sure? AFAIK it doesn't matter whether you have them set to display or not.
39 is the maximum no. of POI categories you can have loaded onto the machine. After that it will start to ignore them AT RANDOM (ie not the last ones you put on, or alphabetically or whatever).

If you have Navigator 6 the max. number is increased to 100.

Try taking them all off and just installing a few to test it.
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

What counts as a POI category?

The map I use is Great Britain v605; I think that has 42 categoies included, e.g. "Airport", "Amusment Park", "Beach", "Camping Ground", "Cash Dispenser" etc.
Then I have 24 pocketgps uk camera categories I have added, e.g. Gatso 20, Gatso 30, Red Light etc.
Then I have 4 more that I have also downloaded via pocketgpsworld, e.g. "Shell", "Tesco Fuel".

These are all displayed under TomTom, Change preferences, Manage POI.
They worked before! Question
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Mac TK, I somehow missed off the word "user" for the POI categories. The built-in ones that came with the map don't count towards that total I quoted.
Look in your map folder and count the number of ".ov2" files you have to check, but from what you say, it looks like you only have 28 user POI categories installed, so that ISN'T the problem after all. Sad
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Thanks for clarifying POIs, I have 28 *.ov2 files in the map folder.

Mike,
Since reloading the application, the only significant file in Program Files/Navigator is the TomTom Application iteslf, no data.chk Confused
Only in Storage Card/TomTom can I find data.chk which I have replaced from a back-up (taken before the ROM u/g).
Is there a way I can (remove and) re-load TomTom so it will definately use files on the storage card (I believe the TomTom application needs to be installed on the PCC main memory)?

Does anyone have any further ideas please? Question

Last edited by Mac-The-Knife on Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first step will still be to remove all your POIs and then add one and set the warning options for it and see if it works.
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren,
But my sound options have reverted to the original TomTom set (Boing, Bugle, Cow, Cuckoo etc) so surely it's not reading the correct data.chk or not reading the correct data.chk correctly?
I have also noticed that some of my Favourites are now misplaced by up to 150-200yds! Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-mail me your modified data.chk file and I will break it down into ogg files so you can use the original sounds you like with the ogg file method, clearly something is wrong with the installation on your device, are you sure the modified data.chk file is the right one? - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
E-mail me your modified data.chk file and I will break it down into ogg files

Good thinking that man! Clap Not Worthy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, The file you sent me only contains the standard warning sounds so this explains why you cannot get it working the way you want.

Which voice pack did you use for your custom Speed Camera warnings, then we can advise another way forwards.

Also try searching your PC's hard drive for data.chk check all folders, drives etc. you should find the modified one will be over 1MB, whereas an unmodified data.chk is slightly under 1MB - Mike
Mac-The-Knife
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, without the correct back-up I have gone down the .ogg files route and it all works perfectly (on Demo 100%).
Thanks for all your kind help and patience. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: