Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Required in Selecting a GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Required in Selecting a GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike-davies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Help Required in Selecting a GPS Reply with quote

I’m a newcomer to GPS looking to buy my first unit. I liked the look of the TomTom X10 series, particularly because of the Bluetooth mobile hands-free facility, and was on the point of ordering one (probably a 910) when I stumbled across the reports of the new X20 series. However, I have a few questions.

1. A major part of my reason for purchasing a GPS is to reduce the “partner map reading stress syndrome”! Since I’m driving to France on holiday on 14 July, what are the chances that the 720, for instance, will be available in UK by then?

2. The integrated FM transmitter looks interesting. My question is how is this going to work on a GPS given that presumably the integrated car audio system will have to be tuned to a particular frequency to receive navigation instructions. Doesn’t this prevent me from listening to a CD or another radio station at the same time?

3. My work can take me to some far-flung corners of the world. How easy would it be to take my GPS with me? How good would the map coverage be of, for instance, South Africa, China or Mexico? How easy would it be to download maps for other countries if I need them?

4. Finally, given my situation (50+ age bracket but reasonably tech literate, driving around 12,000 miles annually in UK plus more overseas), what advantages would a 720 offer over a 910? I can buy a 910 for around £260 (incl VAT) but it looks like the 720 is going to be over £400. The price is not necessarily a problem but I like to feel that I’m getting value for money. Alternatively, is there another unit altogether that may better suit my needs?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go to far flung places of the earth then a pda maybe a better option as tt may not have the maps for the areas youare going

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Required in Selecting a GPS Reply with quote

mike-davies wrote:
1. A major part of my reason for purchasing a GPS is to reduce the “partner map reading stress syndrome”! Since I’m driving to France on holiday on 14 July, what are the chances that the 720, for instance, will be available in UK by then?
I would suggest less than 1% to be honest, 2007 Q3 could mean any time from July 01 to Sept 30th so your needs are a little early in any release program they might have.

mike-davies wrote:
2. The integrated FM transmitter looks interesting. My question is how is this going to work on a GPS given that presumably the integrated car audio system will have to be tuned to a particular frequency to receive navigation instructions. Doesn’t this prevent me from listening to a CD or another radio station at the same time?
Any FM transmitter will require the car stereo to be tuned to the same frequency in order to play the audio through the speakers. This works fine for me except when in/ around London or Birmingham where it can be very difficult to find a frequency free from interference. Also it negates the use of the cars in built RDS traffic information system. You can play audio mp3 on the TomTom and that will then play through the speakers 910 (or new devices from reading the reports).

mike-davies wrote:
3. My work can take me to some far-flung corners of the world. How easy would it be to take my GPS with me? How good would the map coverage be of, for instance, South Africa, China or Mexico? How easy would it be to download maps for other countries if I need them?
South Africa is mapped but the others you mention are not available for the TomTom, they might be at some future point but this will depend on demand and the county in question permitting their roads to be mapped. Does the unit have to be a dedicated mapping GPS PNA style product? - there are other PDA based platforms that offer better support for exotic trips to countries that have yet to be mapped by the major players.

mike-davies wrote:
4. Finally, given my situation (50+ age bracket but reasonably tech literate, driving around 12,000 miles annually in UK plus more overseas), what advantages would a 720 offer over a 910? I can buy a 910 for around £260 (incl VAT) but it looks like the 720 is going to be over £400. The price is not necessarily a problem but I like to feel that I’m getting value for money. Alternatively, is there another unit altogether that may better suit my needs.
The 910 is still a very capable device - notice they have not announced a 920. I would also look at the Garmin Nuvi devices, but I still prefer the TomTom menu system over the Garmin products - Mike
mike-davies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents

Thanks very much for the helpful responses – particularly Mike Alder’s most comprehensive reply. (Btw, Mike, I wish that my business trips overseas were “exotic” – most times all I see of my destinations are the insides of aircraft, cars, meeting rooms and hotels!)

Based upon your advice, I think the answer is to continue with my proposed order for the 910, which I can use in Europe, and maybe hire a GPS (where possible) from the car-hire company when I’m further afield.

One last question on a general theme, if I may. I recall reading some while ago that the sight of the windscreen suction device (or even the mark left by it) was encouraging a new trend of opportunist thieves breaking into cars hoping to steal the GPS itself even if it was hidden away. The problem being, of course, that, even if the device is not in the car, one still has to deal with the aftermath, smashed windows, etc. Is this still a problem, in your opinion?

Thanks again
Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem of breaking in to vehicles because of the tell tale marks has certainly not gone away, keep a pack of computer screen wipes in the car to wipe the evidence away from the screen, keep the main nav unit in your pocket when away from the car and the mount at best with you, but at the least out of view - Mike
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wee while back my mate had is car broken into and the mount stolen. The theifs left the Navman unit he owns in the glove box - I cannot figure that one out Confused
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they had taste Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing sorry couldnt resist

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: