Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Having problems...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Having problems...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haylands
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Having problems... Reply with quote

Hi
When I unzip the downloaded file all I get is one file called poi's no ov2 or bmp or anything else, I have tried this with several different poi's always the same.... I am using WINrar to unzip on a pc with Xp professional.... anyone help please

Thanks

Pete
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to give more information please. Tell us what you are selecting and how you go about it. What POIs are you downloading? The Tom Tom ones? You should receive a download called POIs.zip

For information, you don't need Winrar to unzip the download - In XP Pro, double click the POIs.zip file in Windows Explorer and it will let you unzip to a folder where you will get ov2 and bmp files.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Selecting the 'Show Link' Option before downloading.

It could also be that you are selecting more than 20 sub-categories in one download. This seems to give a problem.

Any reason you aren't using WindowsXP to unzip? just right click and "extract all".

"sparky24" had the same problem HERE
haylands
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is obviously something funny here, I am getting exactly the same problem as Sparky did, the downloaded file unzips to one file called poi this has no file extension so who knows what it is, I was just downloading the congestion charge one, just one on its own, I have tried with all the options available but everytime get the same result, I have just tried the windows unzip by right clicking option and I get the same result....

Pete...........
haylands
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot

I am using tomtom files, I have just ried to download a complete selection instead of one on its own, the same thing happens I get one zip file that unzips to one file....

Pete
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we missing something here? I've just downloaded "Tom Tom", "UK", "Accommodation", all 36 separate categories, no "combine", no "show link". When I unzipped "POIs.zip", it unzipped into a default directory called POIs - inside it are 72 files, 36 ov2 and 36 bmp.

haylands
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to the page, select tomtom, select uk, select a poi or a catagory, click seperate files, click download, download box appears, I save the file in my download file I have set up for this and the speed cameras, which incidentally download and unzip perfectly, I then have a zipped file at this location, I unzip it with either winrar or the built in windows one and it asks me where I want to unzip it to, I have now tried various different locations but the result is the same, I get a folder called POI's, I click on this folder, it opens and there is one file.... no OV2 no bitmap just one file called POIs it has no extension, the congestion charge one is 3kb in size, if you right click and select properties there is very little shown, no file type etc, if I try to open it I get the which program do you want to use box but no program will open it... I first tried to download from this new style poi's about a week ago and the same thing happened, left it for a while but now I need the congestion charge zone so have tried again, I've tried everything I can, I've selected every different option.... I have downloaded lots and lots of zipped files from all over the net and never had any problems with any of them, just this one so I can only think there is a conflict somewhere.... but where.... I can email you the files I have downloaded if this helps... Thanks for your continuing help.

Pete
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried it and got strange results. Running XP Pro SP2 here.

If you select the Show Link box then click on the link and open the file - you get the .ov2 and .bmp

If you DON'T select Show Link and open the file it you get a message about it not being a valid archive. Sio there is something wierd going on.

Solution for the short term is to select Show Link

EDITED: Sorry: to make it clear it was the single category Congestion Charge POIs I was trying to download

Another edit: Appears to be same for other categories here.

Didn't we have a similar problem a few months ago?
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to recreate the problem and have the same results as Phil with the same OS.

All the POI's I have downloaded have been via the show link option and I haven't had a problem.

I don't know whether you can send a file by PM but I'll have a look if it helps Pete.

Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more info - but more confusion Confused

My previous reply was using IE7 on XP Pro SP2 so I thought lets try IE6.

At present it doesn't matter if I use Show Link or not with IE 6 - all that happens is WinZip opens up empty files - no message about corrupt archives - but nothing in the files.
haylands
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... something is going wrong, I've just been playing again and if I use the show link option it works..... I have tried this before with no luck but now it just goes and fixes itself Rolling Eyes

Maybe someone cleverer than me can sort this mess out!!!!!

Thanks to all for your help I now won't have to pay mad ken £8

Pete
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haylands wrote:
Well.... something is going wrong, I've just been playing again and if I use the show link option it works..... I have tried this before with no luck but now it just goes and fixes itself

That's basically what happened to 'sparky24'. It wasn't working, and then suddenly it did. Weird...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the download that is giving problems, is there an extension on the POIs File. Is it called POIs or POIS.zip?

There was a problem, sometime in the past, where the extension was being stripped off during the download. Confused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried this again.
64 bit machine, runnning Windows XP Pro, 64 bit. Gigs of broadband, Gigs of RAM.
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 - dreamy - anything, no problem, I didn't "show link" or combine categories.
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11 Kerlanggg! First try as above, didn't even download a POIs.zip. Second try with fewer categories got an empty (corrupt, invalid or whatever) POIs.zip. Third try, fewer categories and "show link" worked (it took me via a page where I had to click the download again).

I'd blame Bill Gates.

haylands
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incorrect not working download zip file was just called "POIs"

The one that finally worked i.e after selecting "show link" and clicking on the link was called "129659_POIs"

This was for just the congestion zone file, neither file had an extension shown

Pete

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: