Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Warnings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Warnings Reply with quote

Sorry folks.. The other day, I was browsing through threads and found that someone had created a chart giving approximate distances to set up for camera warnings, based on different speed limits.

I have searched for ages and cannot find where I saw this chart.

Can the author of it, or anyone else with knowledge please point me in the right direction. It was only in the last few days.

Thanks,

Tommo

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual Times/Distances

Mph - 30s - 20s - 15s - 10secs warning.

80 - 1173- 782 - 587 - 391 yards
70 - 1026- 684 - 513 - 342
60 - 879 - 586 - 440 - 293
50 - 732 - 488 - 366 - 244
40 - 588 - 392 - 294 - 196
30 - 441 - 294 - 221 - 147
20 - 294 - 196 - 147 - 98

These are the figures I recommend using... as it has a built in 10mph buffer zone should anyome stray a little over the limit.

Mph - 30s - 20s - 15s – 10 secs warning.

70 - 1173- 782 - 587 - 391 yards
60 - 1026- 684 - 513 - 342
50 - 879 - 586 - 440 - 293
40 - 732 - 488 - 366 - 244
30 - 588 - 392 - 294 - 196
20 - 441 - 294 - 221 - 147
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers L.P.

You are a star. Thumbs Up

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here y'go (it's quite a scroll down to the chart).
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-go-910.php
Most people recommend rounding them off (e.g. for a 20 second warning in 20mph zone, 200 yards)
There's even a simple theory to get a 20 second warning - just add a zero to the speed, so 20mph = 200 yds, 30mph = 300 yds, 40/400, 50/500, 60/600, 70/700. Remember to worry and make it more complicated by factoring in rear facing, forward facing and long distance forward viewing mobile cameras!Twisted Evil

. Lost Property has beaten me again! Grrrr

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. Lost Property has beaten me again!

That makes twice then? :P
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go along with the 20 second warning, regardless of speed, and also use the simple add a zero that Dennis suggests. However, for mobile sites, regardless of your speed, I use 1000 yards. There is little point in a 30 mph zone, of getting the mobile warning 300 yards from the mobile. He'd have taken a reading well before then.

Similarly, for the average speed areas, I set for a 300 yard warning. They don't start to time you until you have passed the first camera, and you have plenty of time to get your average speed down by the next one, even if you're still "Just" over the limit as you enter the zone.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

I just put another new post on. I wondered who would be first to answer, Lost Property or DennisN.

Neither.....super quick Mike Alder was the star..... Laughing

sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using those distances is fine if you drive at around the speed limit and just need a reminder.

If you drive at 90 mph everywhere, you will need more time/longer distance to slow to the lower speed limits. In that case you may want to increase the time distance as the limit decreases! ;)
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
I just put another new post on. I wondered who would be first to answer, Lost Property or DennisN.

I think I should point out that Lost Property and I are in a contest with only two participants - we are not allowed out with the big boys like Mike Alder. Crying or Very sad Just for the record, Lost property's winning (by quite a long way too). I have several handicaps which he doesn't - I don't know much and can hardly type, to name but two. Maybe I'm just in a contest of one.
sgould wrote:
Using those distances is fine if you drive at around the speed limit and just need a reminder.

If you drive at 90 mph everywhere, you will need more time/longer distance to slow to the lower speed limits. In that case you may want to increase the time distance as the limit decreases!
My daughter would probably suggest I only need about 3 seconds warning!

TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you drive around at 90 in a 60 limit, you still get around 13 seconds to drop your speed to 60. Shouldn't be a problem.

Mind you if its a 30 limit, the 6.8 seconds warning (300yards) could be quite exciting.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Staying at or below the limit makes the actual figures pointless, that's why I upped them all by 10mph incase people drift over the limit, e.g. quite eay downhill.

Quote:
If you drive at 90 mph everywhere, you will need more time/longer distance to slow to the lower speed limits. In that case you may want to increase the time distance as the limit decreases!

Shouldn't be a problem as most speedo's are up to 10% out so 90 on the clock could be actual 81.

Personally I've gone for the 20 second warning, as has been said 'Easier to set up', for all fixed cameras and a minimum 440 yards for mobiles upping to 500 yards at 50, 600 at 60 and 700 at 70. I don't bother setting red light cameras as the traffic lights themselves are a bit of a givaway anyway.

Quote:
My daughter would probably suggest I only need about 3 seconds warning!
THAT LONG! Tut, tut.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lost_Property"]
Quote:
440 yards for mobiles upping to 500 yards at 50, 600 at 60 and 700 at 70.

Not a wise move in my opinion. The mobiles can take a reading up to a kilometer away, regardless of speed limit. There is little point in giving yourself 440 yards warning of the camera location, when they'll have read your speed well before the warning occurs.

If we wanted to be pedantic, surely we should be going for 1300 yard in a 30 limit, upping to 1400, 1500, 1600 etc, so that we had appropriate advance warning of the point when we enter the 1000 metre "risk" zone.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is little point in giving yourself 440 yards warning of the camera location, when they'll have read your speed well before the warning occurs.
Like DennisN, I usually stick within the speed limits. I can of course, like most people, stray a little over but having had only two speed tickets, one in 1959 (motorbike) and the other in 1971 (car), I feel fairly confident I won't be receiving any surprises.

Why do I have the database? For when I am in unfamiliar territory and it's a reminder the area is probably one which has had several accidents. I don't use my Sat Nav/camera database for routes/areas I know.

It may feel to those that speed everywhere that they are getting there much quicker than those they pass but take for example the M25, which is about 126 miles around. Person a travels all the way round at 70 and person b at 80. Person a takes 1h 48m and person b 1h 36m, just 12 minutes difference, and that's with NO other traffic and at a constant speed.

Double that distance is like travelling from London to Cornwall, so the difference would be 24 minutes but most of the time you would be travelling at a slower speed e.g single carriageways/towns, slow moving traffic. Nah, it just don't pay to speed, what's the point of getting all up tight? Make the journey as pleasant and relaxing as possible, get there safe and without a ticket. :D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
999tommo wrote:

I think I should point out that Lost Property and I are in a contest with only two participants - we are not allowed out with the big boys like Mike Alder. Crying or Very sad
I forgot to add that Mike Alder and all the others who hurry to answer you are doing it out of self interest. They hope to be able in court to use the mitigation that "Well, yes yer onner, I was going a bit quick, but it was only because I was rushing home to answer a post from 999tommo, so it doesn't count and you can let me off". Wink

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Well, yes yer onner, I was going a bit quick, but it was only because I was rushing home to answer a post from 999tommo, so it doesn't count and you can let me off".

We'd get off because you'd say

'Lost_Property and 'I were rushing home to answer a question by p999tommo and we can't remember who was driving the slowest on the day'. :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: