Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FAO Tims Postcode Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FAO Tims Postcode Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisWaller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: FAO Tims Postcode Files Reply with quote

I have a Tomtom Go 300 which appears to hold the wrong postcodes against some addresses. Have tried to download postcode files but getting error with each file. Can someone help me resolve this problem.
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the size if your zip folder? it should be about 8.86mb.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chris is referring to the Postcode POI Files that were in vogue in pre V5 days.

@Chris, can you tell us a bit more of what your problem is, and what you are trying to achieve?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ChrisWaller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: FAO Richard Reply with quote

Richard,

On my Tomtom Go 300 there are a lot of areas particularly in Blackpool where the postcodes and addresses do not correlate. All I want to do is to be able to navigate using postcodes and house numbers? Is this too much to ask?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that. Smile

The Postcode Database was originally built up to accomodate the Postal Rounds in the UK.

When Ordinance Survey decided to create a geographical database of Postcode Locations it wasn't as accurate as one could have wished for. It's original purpose was not for the use it gets now.

This means that if the 'centre' of a Postcode falls between 2, or more, roads the sat nav Device has to make a decision about which is the nearest road. After all we are talking about Road Navigation (generally).

I find that if the Postcode returns an incorrect road, it is easier to go to Browse Map and use Find | Address | Postcode to pinpoint the Postcode location and very often the road I want will be adjacent, and not necessarily the highlighted one.

A roundabout way, and not the best, but it works. Smile

I can then use Navigate to ...

ChrisWaller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: FAO Richard Reply with quote

Richard,

Prior to buying the Tomtom which I have now, I hired one for a week to test drive the device. As all the postcodes in question existed on the Tomtom which I hired, I thought the Tomtom which I bought would also contain the same information. How wrong was I? I believe that there are sites out there that you can download the corrected information, the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread is Tim's Postcodes. These are links to postcodes held by region. Unfortunately it throws up an error when trying to download these files? Thanks for your help anyway.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried connecting the device to Tom Tom Home & checking for updates?

May be worth posting your software version & an example of a problem postcode for others to check against.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: FAO Richard Reply with quote

ChrisWaller wrote:
I believe that there are sites out there that you can download the corrected information, the one mentioned at the beginning of this thread is Tim's Postcodes. These are links to postcodes held by region. Unfortunately it throws up an error when trying to download these files? Thanks for your help anyway.
We stopped doing the Postcode POIs a couple of years ago, for 2 reasons.

Firstly, it was apparently illegal, and secondly it was becoming more common for sat navs to have the Postcodes built in.

A lot of the Postcodes in those original Files were becoming obsolete and new ones were being brought in. It was quite a job trying to keep up.

Incidently, the data in those Files was identical to the data that is in the sat navs. Well the TomTom anyway.

I would think that Tim has taken the Files off his Web Site as they amounted to 50+MB and he could put the space to better use.

As suggested by Crocodile, perhaps you could post an example of where you are finding errors. Smile

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will answer the examples bit (I have my Chrystal ball working again)

FY2 0ST should be 339 Warley Road

FY1 2PH Should be 8 Woburn Road (it is using a Navteq map)

NG19 9BU 25 New Mill Lane, Chris - in the case of this last one do you travel their often? - if so has a Redlight camera appeared on the junction with Leeming Lane South

The Post Code data is refined with each map release, but it will take time, in the first example above you would have travelled down Warley Road so it gets you very close, the same applys to the third example. the FY12PH is fine if you switch to a NT map (something we have seen before TBH) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: