Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPaq Annoyance (h2210)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPaq Annoyance (h2210)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: iPaq Annoyance (h2210) Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone might know the reason for this: My iPaq h2210 sometimes won't switch back on and appears to have performed a full reset all by itself. I can only get it to work again by removing the battery and putting it back in again.

The diagnostic program says all is well, plus the battery (and internal battery) is fully charged.

Whenever this happens I lose the TomTom software and all the settings, plus it isn't recognized by my PC for ActiveSync. Instead it connects the iPaq as a guest, and won't allow me to connect with its identity that I chose when I installed ActiveSync. Basically a full reset that requires me to re-install everything, including ActiveSync on my PC.

Are they known for temperamental behaviour such as this?

Mike
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have answered my own question Embarassed. I think I caused the problem by switching off the PDA without exiting TomTom first.

That's the only thing I can think of. Any comments?

Thanks

Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durotriges wrote:
I think I may have answered my own question Embarassed. I think I caused the problem by switching off the PDA without exiting TomTom first.

That's the only thing I can think of. Any comments?

Thanks

Mike

Yep - that would cause problems Laughing

It's to do with the Bluetooth communications - it get very confused if you don't exit the program before turning off the PDA. It will happen with other apps using BT also.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I don't know how familiar you are with PDA's, but PDA's don't have a hard drive, and everything is stored in RAM, and RAM needs a power suply to stop it loosing everything that is stored in it, so you need to keep your battery charged up, or it will go flat, and you will loose everything. One way a PDA battery will go flat is if you don't exit all programs when you switch it off, not just hit the"X" in the top right corner, but shut the program down, or the program will continue running, even if the PDA is off, and run your battery down, then you will loose everything stored on it, in the RAM. On my PDA, there is an icon on the bottom right corner, you click on it, and it tells you what programs are running, and from there, you can shut them all down. Finally, you can do a "Backup" with Active sync, to save you having to re-load everything, or you could invest in a backup program, I use sprite backup, with sprite, you can save the backup on your SD card, and if you are away from your PC, work, or on holiday, you can re-install everything from the backup, on the SD card.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are PDAs out there (my AXIM X51v is one) that install applications to ROM so that they (the apps) will survive battery power loss. The AXIM also has a 'full power off' mode that basically removes power from the unit to preserve battery life if you are not using it for an extended period of time.

ActiveSync itself can cause battery loss as it will start itself up to try and do a sync. In general do a SETTINGS/MEMORY/RUNNING PROGRAMS and stop the lot every now and then.
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies Phil and Tanda :D

Yes, this iPaq is new to me. I didn't realize about programs still running if you don't shut them down properly. I have just been closing them as with my desktop PC by clicking on the cross in the top right, then switching the iPaq off. With the TomTom program I've been selecting the Exit Program option to close it and return to the iPaq's standard 'desktop' screen.

The switching on and off thing was causing me some confusion for a while because it seemed to do something different each time I tried. It annoyed me to the extent that I started writing down what it was doing to try to make sense of it! I appeared to be getting a few different scenarios, like this:

Unit off; press power button once and it came on with no backlight. Press again and got backlight.

Unit on; press power button once and backlight goes off, but unit still on. Press again and light comes on. Press again and whole unit switches off. Press again and whole unit comes on, including backlight. Press it again and whole unit switches off (not just still on but no lights, as before)!

Unit off; press power button and all comes on, including backlight. Press button again and it stays on, but no backlight. Press again and the whole unit switches off. Press again and it comes on, but with no backlight. Press again and it switches off completely.

I think I've worked it out now! I press the button once and it comes on with no backlight, then the backlight comes on if I press the button again after waiting a second or so. If I press it again too quickly the unit goes off again! When it is on I press it once and the backlight goes off, but I can still the the desktop programs there, so I press again after a second or so and the whole unit goes off. If I press too quickly the backlight comes back on.

It is a bit annoying because if using the unit in the dark and I swtich it off I don't know whether it has gone right off, or it is still on with just the backlight off. I don't trust it to have done what I think it should have done!

The ActiveSync program also doesn't want to back up the SD card. It'll not let me tick the box to select everything on the SD card. I've just been using the Explore button in ActiveSync to copy and paste things onto the iPaq. I'm not sure what the back-up function has actually done, unless it has saved all my program settings. It was doing some confusing things like copying e-mails from my desktop PC to the In Box on the iPaq, but I think I've stopped that now, by modifying the preferences.

Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I had an iPaq 3660 and I seem to recall a similarly confusing set of operations with the power switch - if I remember it has something to do with the duration of the press - a very short press/release seemed to do the light thing whereas a longer press/release did the power - all very confusing!

Phil
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm getting the hang of it now, although I don't trust the damned thing to be completely off when I switch it off in the dark! A definitive power LED would have been handy!

Mike

Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Mike,

I had an iPaq 3660 and I seem to recall a similarly confusing set of operations with the power switch - if I remember it has something to do with the duration of the press - a very short press/release seemed to do the light thing whereas a longer press/release did the power - all very confusing!

Phil

Actually the other way around, short press = susped, long press turns backlight off.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durotriges wrote:
I think I'm getting the hang of it now, although I don't trust the damned thing to be completely off when I switch it off in the dark! A definitive power LED would have been handy!

Mike

Laughing

A PocketPC is never completely OFF. When you press the power button you place it in a SUSPEND state.
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks for pointing that out :D.

I know a way to turn it off completely and it very nearly happened a couple of times the other day! Laughing Laughing

Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Durotriges wrote:

Mike

Laughing

A PocketPC is never completely OFF. When you press the power button you place it in a SUSPEND state.

That's why I kept running down the battery Embarassed

Yes - you are correct (of course) - it's a long time since I used it.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: ppc + navigation. Reply with quote

After 5 years of using various software tomtom and all manner of pocket PC's, I generally push the reset button before I start navigating. The only pocket device that "just works" is my palm tx, or my symbian phone. Like real PC's pocket ones require frequent resets.
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if you've been having a load of trouble with your devices! Mine's been okay so far - fingers crossed! Laughing

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: