Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Good GPS for custom software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Good GPS for custom software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teario
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Good GPS for custom software? Reply with quote

Hi there, im was wondering if someone could recommend GPS device (preferably with no interface) that would be ideal for someone who doesnt know much about them but wants to write software to get data from it. For a university project, I need to write an application for my phone (W850i) that will connect to a GPS device via bluetooth and find my location every five minutes (and optionally my speed).

The thing is, I dont really know much about how software requests that the GPS get the position, or whether it just gets the position and sends it to the phone automatically, while they are connected.

So if you could recommend a good GPS device possibly one with development in mind if they exist, or links to some resources where I can find out more, I would really apreciate it. Also the smaller the better since I have to carry it with me everywhere I go for the next 12 months. Id also prefer not to spend more than around £70 on it, but I would be willing if you say I *really* should get a particular one.

Thanks for you help Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the QStars unit which was recently covered Here

The GPS unit once connected via Bluetooth will send out a stream of data from which you will have to parse the information that you require, search on the net for NMEA 0183 the sentence you might want to concentrate on is the $GPRMC as this contains time, lat, long, speed plus other information, note the speed is in knots so you will also need to perform some simple arithmetic to convert to MPH (multiply the Knots value by 1.15078030303)

This User manual contains some useful information on the NMEA data that is transmitted by a GPS device - Mike
Teario
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, those docs were really helpful. I had trouble finding somewhere to buy the BT-818, but I contacted them and they told me to purchase one their UK seller via ebay, which I have done. Just got to wait for it to arrive.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: