Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom one SD Card Problems when connecting to PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom one SD Card Problems when connecting to PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom one SD Card Problems when connecting to PC Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I purchased the new Tom Tom One at the weekend, on Sunday I loaded the software onto my PC and connected the Tom Tom using the usb cable, it took ages for the PC to recognise the unit however it eventually sync. I was very disappointed I couldn't load my previous POI’s, as the software wouldn't allow this!! Anyway I disconnected my Tom Tom and the SD card had been wiped of all the data! I had not touched any files and the Tom Tom Home software had wiped the card provided! No maps and the Tom Tom was saying there was a problem with the SD card!
I got a replacement unit from the store I purchased it from and connected this to my PC, as soon as the PC recognised the unit it wiped the SD card, again no maps and the Tom Tom wouldn't work - what a waste of money!! I have now got a further replacement (3rd unit) however don't want to attach it to my PC and sync because it wipes the SD card. I need to know why this is happening? I really don't think its my PC as this works fine with my mp3, camera etc etc. There seems to be a fault when connecting the Tom Tom, I have a laptop aswell but I’m concerned if I connect to the Tom Tom the SD card will be wiped. Seems crazy there are no maps provided on the disc? which I could re-install on the SD card.

Please help...................... as I need to load all my POI's!

Thanks
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be possible to make a full copy of your sd card using a card reader. then at least you would be able to reinstall if it went 'pear shaped'.
can't see how 2 different units would wipe your card clen though unless your pc automatically formats the card??
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The probable cause is incorrect disconnection from the PC.

How do you know it has wiped all the data from the SD Card? I only ask because I don't know what you are confident in being able to do.

If you just pulled the USB cable out without doing a proper Safely Remove Hardware it could be that a Reset of the Device might be all that is required.

If you can list the steps you took, perhaps we might see at which point things are going wrong.Smile

As another point, you don't need HOME to load POIs. They are just Copy/Paste with Explorer.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
James17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

When I reconnected the TT to the PC it came up with an F drive which my pc thought was the TT unit, I clicked into this and there was no files. It kept asking me if I wanted to format the drive? I gave the reset function a try but it kept saying the SD card had no data!

So are you saying if I connect it to my laptop (too scared to go near PC again!) I can manually add my POI's into the correct file on the SD card?
Which file do they need to go into?

Plus how can I create a backup? Is this just a case of saving all the files from my SD card onto my laptop? or a disc?
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poi's go into your map folder.
to create back up on pc just create a new folder on your desktop. (make sure your file settings in explorer are set to show all folders and files).
then copy all the files and folders from your tomtom and paste them all into your new desktop folder.
simple as that.
avoid tomtom home wherever poss. there seems to be too many error issues with it.
UncJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:

avoid tomtom home wherever poss. there seems to be too many error issues with it.

Agreed, found this out very quickly. Far better to use a card reader when adding/removing POI's etc, only time I now use the Home software is for downloaded updates.
davidbeaty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncJ wrote:
tonygold wrote:

Agreed, found this out very quickly. Far better to use a card reader when adding/removing POI's etc, only time I now use the Home software is for downloaded updates.

I also find that using a card reader - although in my case a printer that takes an SD card - is also quicker than TTHome software or just browsing onto the drive that gets mounted when you plug the unit in.
pocket GPS camera POI + real voice warnings
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbeaty wrote:

I also find that using a card reader (snip) is also quicker than (snip) the drive that gets mounted when you plug the unit in.

That's because the Go's (or certainly the earlier versions at least) are only USB 1.1, whereas your card reader is probably USB 2.0 which is much quicker.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: