Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Modify Navman GPS 3000/3300???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Modify Navman GPS 3000/3300???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADB100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Modify Navman GPS 3000/3300??? Reply with quote

I know it will void the warranty etc, but has anyone modified a Navman GPS 3000/3300 sleeve to add an external aerial or aerial socket? I don't know if it can be done but it would seem to me to be a reasonable idea ( Question ). I have a re-radiating antenna and was wondering whether it would be possible to use this (or parts of it) to fashion an external aerial that could be positioned maybe in the rear window of my car?

Just a thought at the moment since I have issues with GPS aquisition; Sometimes it will work for an hour or so in the car perfectly, then I will get 'GPS position unreliable' and then thats it. Whilst its working the GPS signals seem to be pretty strong, but once the 'unreliable' message appears all the bars in the GPS Status window are grey; they are there and the GPS is obviously receiving the GPS signals but it doesn't 'lock on'. Occasionally it will kick back into life but very rarely. I have put this down so far to be the environment in my car and the windscreen (Audi?).

Any ideas about either modifying the GPS or my aquisition problems would be gratefully accepted.

Andy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it could be done by any extremely competent electronics boff, but not by the regular user.

I'm assuming you have the 3000 sleeve as the 3300 has an external antenna socket.

You might just find it's easier and cheaper if you still want a sleeve to buy a new one from a Navman retailer like www.Handnav.co.uk for £179.99.
ADB100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could buy another GPS receiver/sleeve but I would rather not. In addition to the cost of the sleeve I would also need another Compact Flash as I would have to sell the GPS 3000 with the 128MB card thats with it wouldn't I?
Does anyone know what I am likely to get for a GPS 3000 with the bundled SmartPath Streets & Trips software and a 128MB Compact Flash Card?
Also if I upgraded the Jacket to the 3100/3300 would I definately have better reception/satellite aquisition?

Thanks

Andy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't have to sell the CF card unless you wanted to.

Seeing that the newer sleeves are £179.99 I would think sleeve only anything from £80 up to £120. I very much doubt anyone would want to purchase SmartPath as it's extremely outdated now with no updates. I suppose it could be good as a starter for someone, but I think they'd just get too frustrated with it.

You will have better acquisition times. If you're looking at usually having fixes at around 4-5 mins or even anything up to 45 mins, then it will be much better. One thing you should check though is whether your windscreen is UV coated, if it is, then the new sleeve probably will exhibit the same symptoms. If it's a standard windscreens or you are looking to use it out on foot more then you should find better (and more importantly more reliable) acquisition times.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: