Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - sd card speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

sd card speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: sd card speed Reply with quote

wanting to take advice from this forum and make a backup sd of my v2 europe. seen cards advertised as 'fast' with a speed of 5mb/sec have also seen more expensive cards at 10mb/sec.
is the faster one necessary or is 5mb fine. also what is speed of supplied tomtom card? and what speed is a real cheapie card typically?
does it make that much difference to performance of unit as i find a slight delay when keying in postcdes etc using supplied tomtom 1gb sd card.
many thanks
tony.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for info.
does anyone know the speeds of the supplied tomtom sd card in a ONE v2 so i can make sure i get a faster one??
thanks.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having bought a fast extra sd card, i realise i have no card reader on my pc!
1. can i put my new blank card into my tomtom and just copy and paste from my back up folder on my pc.
2. putting a blank card into the tomtom won't do any harm will it?
3. will i have to do anything to the brand new card (format??) for it to accept all this info?
4. also i have added extra poi categories since my last backup, will i have to do a complete new backup or can i just add the new files to the backup folder or is it better to re-write the whole lot??
many thanks
tony.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks crazylegs for this information. I watched this topic for information myself.

One thing though - just how do you tell what speed a card is? I have bought two, both 2GB and they seem to work my GO710 quite satisfactorily. I cannot find any marking or indication of their speed. They each cost around £40.

If there is such a difference as you got (22 down to 9 secs), I want some!! But absolutely no idea how to get it. I don't suppose there's a test thing is there, to tell me how fast these of mine are? I long ago found a website to test the speed of my broadband - is there a similar one for my SD cards?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dennis
faster cards are usually advertised with their speeds on the advert. i've just bought one on ebay following the advice above, it is 150x speed 1gb for a total of £10 incl shipping!!!!
i suspect tomtom cards are far slower speeds than this??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:

1. can i put my new blank card into my tomtom and just copy and paste from my back up folder on my pc.

Yes. That should work fine (so long as your back-up is a complete one). If you want to copy your present card set-up, I'd suggest doing another backup first, with Windows Explorer set up to show all hidden files (Tools menu / Folder options / View tab). Then just 'select all' on your old card and copy and paste to a new folder on your PC. Then put the new card in, and copy and paste back.

Quote:
2. putting a blank card into the tomtom won't do any harm will it?

No, when you are connected up via USB, the Go acts JUST as an external disk drive.
One important point! Windows often gives the impression that it has finished copying to the card before it has. If you remove the cacrd or unplug while it is still writing, then file corruption is a real possibility. Always wait for the display on the TomTom screen to stop flashing, AND THEN click on the "Safely remove hardware" icon that appears in the system tray of your PC (next to the clock). Only unplug when you get the message saying it is safe to do so.

Quote:
3. will i have to do anything to the brand new card (format??) for it to accept all this info?

No, the card should come pre-formatted and ready to go. In fact, some people seem to have had problems when they have re-formatted their card.

Quote:
4. also i have added extra poi categories since my last backup, will i have to do a complete new backup or can i just add the new files to the backup folder or is it better to re-write the whole lot??

See above. Do a new backup. It's easier than worrying about what you have or haven't got on your old one. Keep the old one as well, as a 'belt-and-braces' insurance policy.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy
many thanks for your detailed answers. much appreciated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: