Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help upgrading TT5 to TT6 on Treo 650
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help upgrading TT5 to TT6 on Treo 650

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NvrLst42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Help upgrading TT5 to TT6 on Treo 650 Reply with quote

I just received my new US/Canada maps w/TTN6 software in the mail. I'm trying my best to figure out how exactly to upgrade but it isn't working.

I have my Treo 650 docked in it's charging cradle. I have all the up2date Palm software installed on my PC. I am able to HotSync to my PC and transfer files to/from the Treo. I installed the TTHome software, but when I launch TTH, it does not see my Treo device. I've tried switching the device option in the menu. I have tried launching TTN on my Treo but TTH still does not recognize that my device is there.

Currently TT5 is installed on my 1GB SD card. What am I doing wrong? I read something in one of the help files that lead me to think that I may need to have TTN running while connected to the GPS receiver. With my setup, this is not possible. I am using a Seidio Car Kit cradle that has the GPS receiver built-in. It needs to be powered by the DC power cable in the car and the Treo needs to be connected to the cradle to communicate with the GPS. There would be no way for me to have the GPS be powered while my Treo is connected to the computer. I could see it working if I had a BlueTooth GPS receiver but I do not.

So again, what am I doing wrong? Anybody else have a Treo 650 and successfully updated to TTN6?
NvrLst42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I managed to solve the problem. Actually, it wasn't so much a solution as a work around.

I did some more hunting around and something else in one of the help files seemed to indicate the use of a card reader. I ended up download a trial version of Softick Card Export, which mounts your SD card on you PC. As soon as I did that, TTH immediately saw my Treo and I was able to install the new TTN6 and maps(using the backup first of course).

I don't know why TTH would not "see" my Treo without having to use some other 3rd party software to mount the SD card. I don't know if I did something wrong when I installed the Palm software. I'm thinking that maybe there is a missing driver or something that is not telling the PC when the Treo is connected.

It really shouldn't be this hard. I expected to just plug my Treo in and install the software. I guess I can't complain now that I got it working, but I'm just wondering if it should have worked without having to install some other software.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NvrLst42 wrote:
I don't know why TTH would not "see" my Treo without having to use some other 3rd party software to mount the SD card

You've not done anything wrong. Don't be critical of TT, it's nothing to do with them, it's a limitation of Palm OS (5).

Your TT is installed on the SD card. When you attach the hotsync cable, the SD card isn't connected (it's still effectively 'external') unless you use a third party application to 'extend' the OS - I've addressed this several times, starting here.

It is made very clear on the TT website when downloading that Palm users will need to use a card reader - as I've said before, this isn't the only answer, as you've found.

You've done nothing wrong, apart from not follow instructions to the letter. TT isn't at fault, there's nothing wrong with your Treo.
NvrLst42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Bedbug. I guess I missed that info on the TT website about needing a card reader. It certainly wasn't made that clear(to me) in the included help docs.

Here's the setup instructions included on the DVD.

Installation
If you have purchased TomTom NAVIGATOR on a TomTom memory card,
insert the memory card in your device. Then go to step 4 below.
If you are installing TomTom NAVIGATOR from a DVD do the following:
1. Connect your device to your computer, or insert the memory card you are
using into a card reader/writer attached to your computer.

2. Insert the DVD in your computer.
3. Follow the instructions in the setup program.
When setup is finished, disconnect your device from your computer or
insert the memory card into your device.
4. Switch on your GPS receiver.
5. Launch TomTom NAVIGATOR by tapping or selecting the TomTom button
in your device menu.

Also from the help section of TTH:

TomTom NAVIGATOR
To connect TomTom NAVIGATOR with TomTom HOME, follow the steps below:

Connect your PDA or mobile phone to your computer using the cables provided with your device.
Set up communication between your PDA or mobile phone and your computer.
See the documentation that came with your PDA or mobile phone for information on setting up communication between your device and your computer.

Start TomTom HOME on your computer. It will not start automatically.
From the Device menu, click Change Device...
Select your PDA from the list, then click OK.

All in all, it seems very ambiguous to me. The first set of instructions does mention a card reader but it seems more of an option than a necessity.

You are right, it may not be TomTom's fault that the Palm Treo does not allow the SD card to be mounted when connected to the computer. But TT should be aware of this limitation and make it clear on how exactly Treo users are supposed to be able to get their devices working with their software. Unless you have a card reader(not many people do), there is no way to use TTH without installing some kind of third party software to get it to work. It's a problem of poor communication all around.
[/b]

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: