Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie for PocketPC solution - Tomtom vs SmartST
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie for PocketPC solution - Tomtom vs SmartST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Newbie for PocketPC solution - Tomtom vs SmartST Reply with quote

I've been a Garmin stand-alone user for years (currently with a GPS V), now looking to move over to a PocketPC/Bluetooth solution. I already have an Axim with a Bluetooth card in it.

I've some questions. Can someone answer them of point me to a thread where they've been discussed, please.

The Navman 4400 or 4100 look appealing as GPS units in terms of battery life and GPS performance, but:

1. 4400 and 4100 are the same except only the 4400 has bundled software (SmartST Pro), right?

I'm considering 4400 or 4100 + Tomtom... Can someone who has used them both comment on

2. Which (or both) enable the user to enter custom waypoints/POIs in an all numeric BNG format (as you get off Streetmap, for example 12345 67890 rather than SP 2345 7890)? The GPS V allows a custom grid to be setup so I can use settings I have to achieve what I'm after.

3. Which (or both) enable the user to enter and maintain custom waypoints at the PC for transfer to the PocketPC?

4. Which (or both) save PocketPC power by only turning on the PocketPC's backlight when notifying of an approaching junction/turn?

5. Which subjectively (or are they the same) re-routes faster and does so with the right sensitivity of determining when you're off route?

6. Which (or are they the same) tends to better determine the 'obvious' route given the user preferences that have been set up?

7. Overall, which do you prefer & why?

Thank you!

W
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Basically the 4100 and 4400 are identical, the only difference is the 4400 comes with Navman SmartST Pro and 4100 does not.

2) Neither, you will need to enter them in full Lat/Long, and currently TomTom is the only one that allows you to find a location via Lat/Long I believe.

3) Neither, CoPilot Live will however

4) None will do this, the backlight either stays off, or stays on depending on which you choose. There really shouldn't be any problem here when using them in-car as you really need an in-car power adapter otherwise the Pocket PC will run dry in a couple of hours.

5) TomTom is faster

6) I'd have to side slightly more with TomTom there

7) I couldn't possibly comment on this Wink Laughing

I would be a bit warey about using a Bluetooth CF Card, the main reason is I have heard of problems from a couple of Axim users, this possibly is down to the card they were using, but it's not something I've tried, I have only used Pocket PC's with integrated bluetooth.
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

W

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: