Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just Downloaded The New Maps.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Downloaded The New Maps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Just Downloaded The New Maps. Reply with quote

Not 100% happy, when I first bought the first original TomTom Go back in July 2004 I notified TomTom (through the website) about all the errors I had found. In 2005 I bought the Go 700 when it first came out and the errors were still there. I have now just checked the new maps (the latest) and all the errors have not been fixed. Saying that, there were are some changes to the maps in my area (mainly new roads) whereas some of the errors I reported were incorrect one way streets, roads that were there but were pinked and whited out when they shouldn't of been.

Now my biggest moan, for me to get onto the motorway it's a straight run and was perfect before I upgraded the map, now it wants me to leave the main road and jump onto another which has national speed limit (although you wouldn't do 60 down here) but puts an extra 0.3 of a mile on route, this road then comes back onto the original road I was on.

The only way to get around the above mistake is to allow the user to adjust the speeds set for each type of road.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Just Downloaded The New Maps. Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:
Now my biggest moan, for me to get onto the motorway it's a straight run and was perfect before I upgraded the map, now it wants me to leave the main road and jump onto another which has national speed limit (although you wouldn't do 60 down here) but puts an extra 0.3 of a mile on route, this road then comes back onto the original road I was on.
I find the easy way around this is to simply ignore the navigator if, and where you know better. Incidently I get the same problem every morning, Squires gate lane to Wrea Green (should be areas you recognise), it wants to use the motorway. Ignore it and it soon picks up my intended route. - Mike
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Downloaded The New Maps. Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
MrRubberGloves wrote:
I find the easy way around this is to simply ignore the navigator if, and where you know better. Incidently I get the same problem every morning, Squires gate lane to Wrea Green (should be areas you recognise), it wants to use the motorway. Ignore it and it soon picks up my intended route. - Mike

I know it's easy to say ignore it (which I do) but if it's doing it to me in an area where I know it will be doing it to other parts of the country. When I press the "Avoid part of route" button it calculates the route that it would of done before the map update so it's not a mapping error it because the road it is trying to send me down is set as a faster one even though the speed limit is higher due to the bends and having to turn right to get back onto the proper road will make going this way longer.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report it to TeleAtlas as a 'Routing Error'.
http://www.teleatlas.com/Pub/Support/MapFeedback

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

I don't think it's a mapping error, more to do with the fact that the road it wants me to go down (proper road not a dirt track) becomes a national speed limit road (60mph) and if I select to avoid this road the TomTom tells me to stay on the road I was originally on.

Thanks for the link, I will report the errors that I reported to TomTom over two years ago.
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked at the TeleAtlas site a couple of the roads that had errors on which I reported to Tom Tom (marked up in pink and white) seem to be correct but on the new updated maps are still incorrect.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:
Oldboy wrote:

I don't think it's a mapping error,
I did say 'a routing error'.;)

They have a section for that as well.

MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True you did, but I don't see how TeleAtlas can help when I presume it's TomTom who have set the way a route is calculated.

Am I right?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite. It's TeleAtlas who supply all the Data about each segment of road, including speed and how long it takes to go from one Junction to the Next.

TomTom then uses that Data to determine which way is the quickest. Hopefully.

MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know it worked that way, thank, I shall be letting them know.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: