Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 710 issues, does any one elses do this!!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

710 issues, does any one elses do this!!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfatgoalie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: 710 issues, does any one elses do this!!? Reply with quote

Hi guys, just got the 710 and have some qualms!

Firstly, when ever i connect to the PC, after ending my session and unplugging the device form the dock it turns off and then back on again but it has reset itself!! all my favourites are still there but i have to input the language, map to use, clock preference etc and all the menus are back to factory settings, u know as if you had just used it for the first time! Please tell me this is not what is supposed to happen!!!!!!!!!?

Second - using the tomtom home software tells me I only have 10mb of space left!!! I have added nothing to it except made a back up. I mean, how much space is on the SD card?? surely more free space than that because amazingly it is not even enough to do an upgrade! is it possible that I have some how doubled the data on there when i did my back up, does any one know how much space is free on the 710 out of the box!?

FInally it doesnt pair well with my phone (samsung D500), it will connect but constantly asks for a pin, i enter it and then it just asks again and again! The same phone paired fine with the Go700 (and stayed paired!). Also it only occassionally connects to the internet via GPRS, not all the time and so it harldy ever works! When I authorise the device it just goes back to unautorised in a few minutes and then asks for the pin again!

Please help me if anyone has any ideas, have I just got a duff unit here!? and should I take it back or are all the above common on the 710!? if so it is very annoying and a result of poor design!

cheers for your help.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First - Do you disconnect by Clicking the My Device Icon at the bottom of the screen first?

Second - Is this the figure in the top Right Corner of the Screen? If yes, then I would say you have added a lot, or duplicated. I don't know how much free space is normal.

Your final question I'm not able to give an answer.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the 710 resetting, Tomtom sent me a little program via email to fix the problem, if I remember correctly it was a program to clear the memory, since then I have had no problems.

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually a program to clear the registry.

To old to die young.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had simalar problems the clear flash sorted mine out. You can download the clear flash from TomTom Here http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=234&SID=0&CID=95&Language=1&FID=6195
bigfatgoalie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

Brilliant but that flash cleaning tool has worked! I can now disconnect my tomtom from the PC in peace without having to re-input all the settings!

Also my Phone no longer asks for my pass code every 5 minutes and connects via GPRS!!

Thanks loads for you help, really appreciate it!

I just need to figure out why i only have 3mb of space on my card left! I did download the speed cameras from this website, all it is is the single file conatining all UK cameras, does anyone know how big that file is?

cheers again
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20th Nov. edition Single file (ov2 version) is 364 KB (372,736 bytes).
Can you not see that just by setting the view in Windows Explorer to "Details" or by right clicking on it and selecting "Properties"?
bigfatgoalie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes exactly! Thats what I thought it was but then it doesnt make sense because I have added nothing to my tomtom except that one speed camera file! so why I only have 3mb space left is a mystery!

I spoke to the guy in my "high street electrical retailer" who sold me the unit and he said there should be about 50mb space left out of the box, so I cannot understand where it has gone!!! Confused

Perhaps if I delete all the old speed camera POIs and the foreign ones and the some voices I will never use then maybe that will free up some space! Can any one else recommend what I can delete that is quite big and not really needed?!

Im also thinking that perhaps I should just get over it and go and buy a 2gig SD card! as such, any recommendations!?
OrangeJuiceMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disappearing space issue is partly caused by configuration files created during setup and well changes are made as well as during upgrades - I had similar problems with three TT510's - mine, my lad's and the wife's. In all cases I opted to upgrade the SD card not least because (in my case) I've added a detailed map of France.

Reading comments in the forums, care should be taken when choosing a brand of card - do NOT go for the cheapest. The wife uses a 512Mb Sandisk which works fine but their 2GB card did not. I am using a Ri-Data 2GB High Speed card (160x) with no problems at all and laddo is using a Ri-Data High Speed 1GB Card.

Hope this info is of some use.

OJM
TTS - ASR - ALG - IQR etc
PGPSW Cameras with Voice Warnings
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on a sec.... You're not talking about free RAM are you?
That's about the amount of free onboard memory I see if I look on the "show version" page of Preferences.
That's nothing to do with free space on the SD card though...
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom 510's original SD Card only had a few MB's free after upgrading to the latest software. I've had to upgrade my SD Card so I can fit everything on. TomTom are very stingy with the SD Cards and provide you with the smallest posible card that fit's the default software/maps on. I bought this SD card from Amazon it works great and is cheap.
See Here.

Link Edited by Oldboy for clarity.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: