Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M25 Varriable Speed Camera Locations
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M25 Varriable Speed Camera Locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilkie2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: M25 Varriable Speed Camera Locations Reply with quote

Can anyone explain why the database only identifies some of the variable speed camera locations on the M25? The download identifies nearly all the cameras between J10 and J12 (10 identified in total), but only one between J12 and J16. The current map on the website actually shows 8 cameras between J12 and and J16 (although I'm sure there are quite a lot more), but only one of those came up on my download.
slewi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is only one camera gantry with cameras fitted between 12 and 16, the new gantries put up after the road works dont have any fitted yet
wilkie2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks slewi for the explanation. I still don't understand why the map on the web site shows 8 camera locations between J12 and J16 however. Does the map show what the situation was before the road works and the database show the current set up? It would certainly be less confusing if the map and the database agreed with each other. Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colour are the icons you are refering to on the site map (not the ones on your Sat Nav) - if they are grey then they are old known locations which are no longer part of the download, these cameras have been removed - Mike
wilkie2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike for that further explanation. All the locations shown on the map but not included on the database are grey as you suggested. All is now clear. I had always assumed that all the variable speed indicator gantries were fitted with cameras because they all have the appropriate road markings. How naive of me! This database is even more useful than I had imagined. :D
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that many of the gantries have the camera brackets already fitted, so, since the road markings are already in place, the cameras could be moved.

I am not sugesting that this is a reason for including ALL ganties, just suggesting that drivers should be aware of the fact.

I cannot say that this applies in all cases, but whenever I have come accross a gantry which has the cameras fitted; so far - there has always been cameras fitted to the gantry on the other carriageway.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, most of the new M25 gantries don't even have the brackets, nor the gaps in the steelwork for the camera to see out through (although if they want to move them, they'll find a way)

Also, since the previous set of M25 roadworks before these, they are no longer all setup as paired gantries, so don't really upon this (although there was a time it was true). Strangely I think these latest roadworks have brought the J12-16 gantries back to paired camera gantries (although they are offset - by the time you see the other carriageway gantrey cameras, you've already gone under the cameras on your side).
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also resubmitted the anti-clockwise gantry between the M40 and the M4 for submission, which has been missing from the database for some months now.

There may be still one missing from the clockwise carriageway on this stretch, but I don't travel the road very often, so it may be some time before I get a chance to confirm this again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
by the time you see the other carriageway gantrey cameras, you've already gone under the cameras on your side).

And craning your head round to check out the gantry you've just passed is NOT recommended! Laughing (unless you're a passenger , of course...)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found my rear-facing mirrors to be handy for this sort of thing.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, I've never been able to safely get a reliable sighting using the mirrors alone. Must need bigger mirrors (or drive slower!)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
And craning your head round to check out the gantry you've just passed is NOT recommended!
Nah, just keep a look out for the flashes as you drive past too fast - you'll soon work it out Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: