Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben166
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi! Reply with quote

iv just bought a garmin nuvi and i subscribed and downloaded the camera database and uploaded it using the poi uploader but when i use it it keeps giving me very odd speed warnings for example warning me about 42mph on a dual carriage way and showing a little camera on a tripod symbol...what have i done wrong?"!??!
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual mistake most first time users make is not changing the speed units in POI loader when uploading the database.

As a default POI Loader sets units to metres and kph,. You need to reload the camera database into your Nuvi using POI loader, but make sure you change the measurement units to feet and MPH.

HTH
heppler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have just purchased a new Nuvi 300 + TMC. On recept I have seen the 'strange' speeds which do not relate to the actual limit on the road. This is different from the previous Nuvis, I am on mark 3!!, as the previous models showed this correctly. the latest database was installed after the latest release and is different

UI have this afternoon downloaded the POI Loader but which will not link to the Nuvi. As a result I copied the files into the Nuvi having first confirmed that the unit was set to miles and feet.

Two queries 1 How to we get POI Loader activated and do we take it that there is a problem with the settings on the database.

Heppler
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heppler wrote:
I have this afternoon downloaded the POI Loader but which will not link to the Nuvi. As a result I copied the files into the Nuvi having first confirmed that the unit was set to miles and feet.
Where have you plugged the Nuvi in to the PC? the POILoader should work once the device is plugged in but you need to plug it in to a PC USB port, I have had experianced problems if I plug it in via the Hub on my desk or USB ports contained in the keyboard/ Monitor - Mike
heppler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have plugged the Garmin via the supplied cable directly into one of the Laptop USB ports. Rather than launch the POI loader the Garmin is recongised as an external drive. I have a suspicion the upload was incorrectly done prior to my purchase and now need to rectify the error.

Thanks

Heppler
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the drive has been recognised by Windows, then start POI Loader, which will hopefully spot this drive as the method of accessing the Nuvi.

If you follow this, what happens when you start up POI Loader?
rouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: How does the speed camera pois work Reply with quote

Hi
Ive downloaded the speed camera POIs to my Nuvi 300 using Garmin POI loader... no problem there. Spotted the new icon in the Nuvi.... and wondering if there is anything else I need to do? or will this just start shouting at me when its approaching a speed camera?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to add a sticky for this titled 19mph warnings...

MaFt
heppler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a variety of solutions and eventually deleted all the informatiion from the laptop. I tried installuing agin and the POI loager now seems to work. I have updated the Nuvi 300 this morning and will try this on a trip I have tomorrow. If this has worked I'll post a note tomorrow night.

heppler

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: