Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910 electrical disconnection repair
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910 electrical disconnection repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dazmanturbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: 910 electrical disconnection repair Reply with quote

Hi Guys. This is my first posting so please be gentle!!!! Recently purchased a TT910 to replace my TT700. Upon receipt of the 910, I immediately had problems with the car charger disconnecting when driving. After doing a bit of research here on the forums, I found out about the new and old mounts for this unit. To my horror I found that I had the new style mount and was still suffering the disconnection problems.

I saw that other forum members had contacted TomTom and got a new mount, so I did the same and a few days later got the new mount. However, this suffered the same problem and disconnected. I figured it must be the suspension in my car as it is rather hard (Subaru Impreza Turbo)

Since I now had 2 mounts, I went to see if I could alter one to make a better connection. I inserted a a piece of wire sleaving under the gold electrical contacts on the mount, which made the contacts more level. Here is the URL for the pic. Look at the angle of the gold connectors. I can report that since this alteration, I have had no problems with disconnection.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=102912359&imageID=1069714376&MyToken=5b4781fb-b4a3-417c-95f3-f09a448238e3[/url]

The gold connectors do simply bend up, but do make sure that they are all level!
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From TT home make sure you have done all the updates cos this was solved in a update
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beg to differ... It wasn't "solved", it was "covered up".
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also made it impossible to switch the TT off when it's powered in the car dock.. damned annoying because sometimes I don't need it waffling on at me especially when I'm nearly home and know where I'm going (going to page 3 of the menu and selecting 'clear route' isn't an option whilst driving.. hitting the off switch is.. it should work - I'm sure it used to).
Dazmanturbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Long Drive with Altered Mount. Reply with quote

Hi Guys. I have just driven from Glasgow to Plymouth with the altered mount. It was brilliant and did not disconnect once for the whole 10 hours. Seems I have conquered where TomTom failed!!!!
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: 910 Power Supply Reply with quote

Hi Dazmanturbo,

The big question is how did you stick the Wire Sleaving under the contacts, I have tried using a Needle, and a Stanley Blade to move the contacts but with no success?

Are you going to share your Wisdom?

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
kalvin928s4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell you what........ its solved the problem on my other defective 910!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! works a treat now. godsend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: New Cradle Reply with quote

It is a long time since I saw this thread actually have any entries. But my answer to the disconnection problem was to get the 'exchange' cradle for the 910 free form TomTom

david

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
kalvin928s4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my story was that my 910 went twice for repair and on last return it was having erratic charging on home and car cradle (new type with lip) to say i was pxxxxd off was an understatement!!!!! especially as they returned it with a diffrent fault and i had to purchase s/h units in between to get me through.

As it was 3rd repair they sent me a brand spanking new one... no probs at all now and works fine.

They then sent me the defective one back as well (christmas spirit??)!!!!!!! ive lifted pins and slid piece plastic under on home and car cradle and BINGO!!! charges all the time now and tmc etc all working.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: