Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spped settings - Garmin Nuvi 310D
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spped settings - Garmin Nuvi 310D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Spped settings - Garmin Nuvi 310D Reply with quote

Purchased a Nuvi 310D last week and in general very pleased with it (so much so I don't use the useless OEM original fit unit in my car)
Have noticed when setting several routes over the last few days that the unit will predict an arrival time at destination. If on the M-way, I usually arrive on schedule 'cos I guess the Nuvi calculates I will average 70 mph which is typically achievable. But on A / minor roads the unit appears to be overly optimistic probably because, for example, if the unit considers you will always maintain 60 mph in a 60 limit this is usually unachievable in real life conditions. Additionally on this basis if the unit thinks you can always achieve the speed limit it may on occasions (as last night!) offer a route that in 'real life' conditions cannot be achieved in the predicted time and as such a longer M-way route offers a faster option. So, my question is........ is there any way you can adjust the speed settings in the Nuvi so that it can predict arrival times more accurately or plot routes against more realistic speed expectations (and yes, I know traffic jams etc are always liable to screw up the best laid routes.......), Can you reset any of the speed settings e.g. typical average on A roads to 45 mph or similar?
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is claimed (I haven't verified this) that the Nuvi learns how fast you drive on each type of road and so its estimates should improve with time. I am not aware of anyway of manually adjusting the average speeds.
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tynecomp wrote:
It is claimed (I haven't verified this) that the Nuvi learns how fast you drive on each type of road and so its estimates should improve with time. I am not aware of anyway of manually adjusting the average speeds.

i noticed this when i first got the 300 on the same trip every day Birmingham 2 bristol in a truck driving in truck mode it was way out the first few times then it learns my driving habits now its correct Wink
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others have said, the unit learns your actual average speed on different road types, and uses this information to change the ETA.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Quite a clever little piece of kit by the sounds of it. I shall wait and see. Thanks again..............

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: