Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 269 and TMC....can someone explain???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 269 and TMC....can someone explain???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Mio 269 and TMC....can someone explain??? Reply with quote

I just bought a used Mio 269. I flashed the firmware to R21, loaded Miomap V2 and the new maps. All works great. Now apparently, you can hook an FM9 Traffic box (or summat?) to get TMC but only in UK if software is licensed for it (or something???) but it should work on the continent.

What is this all about, and what is the lowest cost route of getting TMC to work on this kit in the UK??

Cheers,
John
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you fire up the unit now (with firmware R21), you get a little icon for TMC, but with a line through it saying no receiver connected! You can buy a receiver such as:-

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pcp/products.asp?partno=4037735101678

It is pricey, at £61 but Is it going to work??? I dont want to blow that much on something that doesnt! Is it the UK TMC license that makes it cost that much?

Thanks,
John
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a whole section on Mio & TMC in this forum, which may be of interest.

As far as I know, the TMC receiver currently available doen't work properly in the UK.

I've been told by Mio that they're developing & testing a UK-specific TMC receiver.

I've tried a TMC receiver on my C210 already, but it didn't work - it detected a TMC signal but was unable to decode it.

Some later Mio models, like the 710, with built-in TMC receivers appear to work whilst the older models requiring a seperate receiver don't seem to work properly or consistently with the receivers currently available on the UK market.

Also, if you look at the Mio web site (http://www.mio-tech.be), you'll see a recent press release about TMC in France...and Mio tell me that they're further behind in the process of getting a receiver fully developed and tested for the UK
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Hacked off too....... Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:
There's a whole section on Mio & TMC in this forum, which may be of interest.

As far as I know, the TMC receiver currently available doen't work properly in the UK.

I've been told by Mio that they're developing & testing a UK-specific TMC receiver.

I've tried a TMC receiver on my C210 already, but it didn't work - it detected a TMC signal but was unable to decode it.

Some later Mio models, like the 710, with built-in TMC receivers appear to work whilst the older models requiring a seperate receiver don't seem to work properly or consistently with the receivers currently available on the UK market.

Also, if you look at the Mio web site (http://www.mio-tech.be), you'll see a recent press release about TMC in France...and Mio tell me that they're further behind in the process of getting a receiver fully developed and tested for the UK

I've read your other postings with interest......I see you are equally (if no more so) as hacked off as I am. Having bought a 269, then all the accessories to install it in my Ford Galaxy, including modifying a desktop cradle, fitting 12/5 dc/dc converter, fitting arial splitter etc and buying a TMC receiver you find it is useless! Not only in the UK, but in our most popular holiday destination (France) as well! It took me ages to modify a desktop cradle and do a proper install into the centre dash storage box on the Galaxy. It looks like I am going to have to flog the unit and accessories on ebay and buy another one that works. Then I'll have to go through the rigmarole again to figure out a neat install on the Galaxy! I note that on the Mio website, even the write up for the c710 says it doesn't work in the UK! That conflicts with what I've read elsewhere. I'm not sure what else to get though....I still want something that I can take abroad on a fly/drive holiday........ any suggestions??

rgds,
John
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the contents of other postings it looks like a uk TMC receiver could be just around the corner

also bear in mind that TomTom have only just launched a TMC receiver for the uk

some people seem to have got TMC workig on their C710s but it might be worth waiting before you jump

it would be even more frustrating if you dumped your current unit and bought something else just to find that TMC doesn't work on that either

a friend bought a TomTom under the illusion that this would work with their RDS/TMC service but found later that it's only compatible with their GPRS traffic service

you don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: