Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Tax Cameras?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Tax Cameras?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheEvilHand
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

Are people being caught by the blue road tax cameras yet? And will there be a database for them.
princeofpeace
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.... I hope not - a database for them that is - best way to avoid them is....by a TAX disc...principle same - just like speed cameras...
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

TheEvilHand wrote:
Are people being caught by the blue road tax cameras yet? And will there be a database for them.

What would be the point?
How could you avoid them?
Would you go faster or slower?

I would not support any database for this type of camera.

It would mean that I supported non-payment of Road Fund licence, hence as a result, no Insurance or MOT! They are all dependant on each other!

I understand that the Kent police had a big operation recently looking for this type of offence, and were scapping the offending vehicles!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it MAY be handy to use them in the database to stop people submitting them as speed camera's... ditto for traffic masters ;)

however, like a few have pointed out the legal implications are a bit dubious!

MaFt
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
TheEvilHand wrote:

What would be the point?
How could you avoid them?
Would you go faster or slower?

I would not support any database for this type of camera.

It would mean that I supported non-payment of Road Fund licence, hence as a result, no Insurance or MOT! They are all dependant on each other!

I understand that the Kent police had a big operation recently looking for this type of offence, and were scapping the offending vehicles!

Agreed. There should be more of these cameras.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't think that the PocketGPSWorld camera database should include a section for road tax cameras. Everybody who drives a vehicle should ensure that it is taxed and insured as well being in a roadworthy condition.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

TheEvilHand wrote:

The Blue cameras are TrafficMaster cameras. The ones that check your VRN against the DVLA database are the ANPR cameras that are typically deployed as temporary installations on tripods or in vans and acre accompanied by half a dozen traffic officers!

We fully support the use of ANPR to catch tax dodgers and those without insurance. Such road users and in particular the uninsured are a menace who increase the tax burden to those of us who do pay and casue untold misery when they are involved in accidents.

I have passed two ANPR sites in the past two days, the first in Sussex had VoSA in attendance and they were confiscating vehicles that were unsafe or untaxed for scrapping. It's one of the few measures I wholly support and consequently we have no intention of making such a database available.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It's one of the few measures I wholly support and consequently we have no intention of making such a database available.
To be honest I would prefer to see more of these installations in use and get the low lifes off the road, but noting the positions is a big no no in my view - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I have passed two ANPR sites in the past two days

In addition to the mobile checkpoints (White van with cameras poking out the back window), there are a whole load of fixed ANPR cameras. They are usually painted black and have a distinctive square infra-red illuminator on them similar to SPECS systems. The City of London has a load of them - this is in addition to the Congestion Charging cameras. We are tracked on ANPR all the time. As the information commissioner says - we have sleep walked into a surveillance society.

Despite my reservations about privacy I'm inclined to agree with the concensus here. All too often hit and run accidents involve untraceable vehicles (no registered keeper, cloned etc) - the Police should mount more road blocks and get the untaxed, uninsured, cloned, stolen, unlicenced, banned, blind drivers off the road rather than the soft target of hitting speeding drivers.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
the Police should mount more road blocks and get the... blind drivers off the road rather than the soft target of hitting speeding drivers.

i'm sure they'd manage that themselves, what with not seeing the corners coming...

MaFt
Naomi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Skippy wrote:
the Police should mount more road blocks and get the... blind drivers off the road rather than the soft target of hitting speeding drivers.

i'm sure they'd manage that themselves, what with not seeing the corners coming...

MaFt

I wonder whether, MaFt, you might have missed the recent court case?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/5313370.stm

Maybe he could have got a discount on his car tax, rather like the 50% discount off a TV license for the blind.

Nao

Nao
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aye, but he only managed half a mile ;)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Road Tax Cameras? Reply with quote

TheEvilHand wrote:

ARE any of the blue cameras for tax evasion? I thought they were ALL Trafficmaster.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Darren, somehow missed your post of Fri 3rd.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the confusion is caused by the fact Traffic Master cameras hang on bridges and the advert shows the black box on a bridge. Somehow people make the connection that the blue cameras are Road Tax cameras. Not the first time I've heard this....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: