Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New software on an original tomtom Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New software on an original tomtom Go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: New software on an original tomtom Go Reply with quote

I've tried a couple of times now to use TomTom home to upgrade my Original Go to the latest version (6.520?).
I have a 512GB Kingston SD card so there's plenty of space.
My problem is that once Home upgrades the software, the TomTom just goes into a reboot cycle. It will show the splash screen then just restart itself.

It looks like the upgrade finishes OK as it asks me to confirm whether I want to have anonymous data collected for TomTom.

I've got version 5.440 on there originally and once I restore this version the TomTom works OK again, thankfully.

I've tried upgrading in the TomTom via USB and even done it with the SD card in a card reader in the PC - both produce the same results. I've also reformatted the card before a clean restore - still no joy.

Can anyone suggest what might be corrupt as I'm guessing the data incompatible with my TomTom in some way.

Or is there another way to upgrade that doesn't involve using TomTom Home?

Cheers for any help.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had some trouble updating my 510 to the v6.520 firmware, What I found was the problem was when TomTom Home downloaded the latest firmware it didn't download it completely even though it stated 9.9MB in TomTom Home the actual size of the update was only about 900KB on my PC. Delete the updated firmware from TomTom Home then connect your TomTom and let it download the updated firmware again it should take about 30 Sec's to download (2MB Broadband Speed). Then try to install it again, After it's been installed disconnect from the pc and let it run through the installation process which took about 30 Secs on my TomTom 510.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New software on an original tomtom Go Reply with quote

crowman wrote:
the TomTom just goes into a reboot cycle. It will show the splash screen then just restart itself.
Let it reboot. For me it did it 4 times. Then it starts OK.

It seems to happen everytime you connect to the PC.Confused

crowman wrote:
Or is there another way to upgrade that doesn't involve using TomTom Home?
Later today I'll see if I can put the Zip Version on my Webspace for those who don't want/can't use HOME. I'll have to check a couple of things first.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I checked the downloaded files and they all seemed to be the correct size.
For good measure I deleted the files and re-downloaded them again.

After another install HOME now says I have two versions of the map on my SD card??? Also the amount of free space has fallen dramatically (now only 68M free) so it looks like there are two maps on there somewhere, but I cant see them by looking at the SD folders. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I tried Oldboy's trick of letting it reboot. 7 reboots later, I got a 'please wait' screen. Then another 6 reboots later it finally dropped into a GPS screen.

Looking at the device, it's now on 6.520 with v632 maps (which I had anyway) so it seems the upgrade completed in the end.

Some warning of the reboot issue might have solved my initial problems I feel. Still, that's the advantage of these forums - someone has usually been where you are now.

Cheers for all the advice guys!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: