Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Map upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Map upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iangps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: TT Map upgrades Reply with quote

A question about TT map upgrades - are they free or do they expect you to pay for them?

I cant find an answer to this on the TT website, but I would expect free map upgrades (if available) for at least the first 12 months.

In some threads it appears that the only way to upgrade to new maps is to buy the whole map again - surely not!! I alredy hve most of it!!

Any pointers welcome. I am not expecting to have to update as I have not had my TT for a week yet!
Regards

Ian
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free map grades? I bet people who are read this are chuckling! I'll let the experts fill you in.

Welcome to the TT forum. Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, so look out for the folk who are (category Fanatic and Moderator).
It is alleged they do map updates "annually". The last ones were available from May to November 2005 and all of us are awaiting this year's with baited breath - they've been promised since May 2006 and STILL haven't become available. When they do, "Existing customers will be able to purchase them at a discount".
Some of us existing customers bought out TomTom GO 700 (and presumably other models) during a time window (mine was May 2006) when they came complete with a voucher for a free map update, vouchers expire 30 Sep 2006, but TT have said they'll honour them all.
You don't say which model you bought, but if it's only a week old, you'd have every right to expect it to have the latest maps (and no voucher for free upgrade). Trouble is, TT would say if you asked them, that you have the latest map. All of us out here can't help you, because each different TT model seems to have a different map version number - there could be half a dozen map version numbers across models and all be the latest one. If you wander around this forum, you'll find many (unhappy) posts on the subject.
If you haven't got a voucher for a free upgrade, you'll come into the category of existing customer offered a discounted upgrade (complete map, not a "patch" or somesuch). Customers who want to buy a map of an area they don't already possess will have to pay full price - between 60 and 120 Euros depending on which you want. Visit Tom Tom website and go to PLUS Services for more info.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TT Map upgrades Reply with quote

Iangps wrote:
A question about TT map upgrades - are they free or ..[snip].... I would expect free map upgrades (if available) for at least the first 12 months.

Regards

Ian

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Iangps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! so the upgrades are not for free! 8O

Not sure how up to date my map version is but the details are (if it matters?)

Go 910
App 6.510 (7590/060816)
GPS v1.21
Boot 4.31
MOWCE v650.1052

Ta

Ian
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you currently have the latest maps for the 910 and the latest software version. But I think the new maps will be due soon (before xmas?)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have the GO 910 you have the latest issued map. Be aware that this GO was announced early 2006 and eventually became available about May 2006. Your map is at least six months old (in your dreams!!). More likely at least a year. The map up to date-ful-ness issue is an obsession with us all.
TomTom have been promising to release updated maps since April and they still haven't done it. So you are in line for the next update issue "soon". You won't get it free, only at a discount. But if I were you, I'd wait and listen to what "we" have to say about how up to date these next ones are when we get them - maybe we'll only get the one which came with yours.
Try this (and any other links about maps) and weep!
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45905&highlight=maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: