Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - General Info Needed PLEASE h5550 UK
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

General Info Needed PLEASE h5550 UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daleholden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: General Info Needed PLEASE h5550 UK Reply with quote

Hi

I am just getting used to my h5550 i need some general help or tips mainly UK or US orientated please.

I would like to know about the following subjects please.

A) I have been looking at storage cards and it seems there are several different ones all with different models and makeups. Can anybody expalin what is the best card to get for the money and the most reliablein the UK?

I have read about these Magicstor Microdrive 2.2GB CF Type II what does "CF TYpe II" mean? Why do all the cards have different numders and codes? I have also read articles about Sandisk SD Ultra II 256 this appears great but for the photo enthusiast i would mainly use it for music and documents.

I contacted HP about these drives and they say they are untested by them but they seem a good solution1 Any tips advise welcomed.

B) I am also interested in buying as cheap as possible a good wireless Navigation system that can be used in the car or out walking without paying £400 plus. Again any tips for UK products welcomed. Covering the UK and Europe or good US products if known.

C) How do you use these as remote controls ? do you need special software for this?

PS Sorry to keep mentioning UK i am not against US products but the cost of shipping and Taxes, Import Duty and VAT adds to the cost. Its better to get from within the UK or European Market.

Cheers Dale

Laughing
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CF type II means it is thicker than CF type I and may not fit in slots that are only built for Type I cards.

Not important to you because the 5550 doesn't have a CF slot.

SD cards - take the best speed and the highest capacity you can afford. Check the web for speed comparisons between cards - we had a thread about this in our forum a while back as well

You are looking for a BlueTooth Navigation system. Wireless mostly means Wireless LAN (or WLAN) which your iPAQ has as well. So better stick with saying BlueTooth to make sure vendors understand what you want. There is no WLAN GPS on the market yet.

Cheap Navigation systems (in the 100 USD range) are Mapopolis Navigator or Deluo Routis. They all come with European and US maps/

Remote controls - you are jumping topics a bit aren;t you? Anyhow, there is a consumer Infrared on your 5550, and a program called Nevo that allows you to use the iPAQ instead of your standard remote control. Personally I think this is just a gimmick, not something really useful (except for zapping fights when the better half thinks she can control the TV )

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to get SD memory cards, which make sense for the 5550 without an expansion pack, then www.valueflash.co.uk are very competitive. I hav a number of 256Mb cards from them that work fine.

Manufacturers are Integral, SanDisk, and DaneElec. I havent bothered with the 512Mb cards because of price.

For Bluetooth GPS solution you will obviously need a BT GPS device. Some of these are getting cheaper, but they are stil about twice the price of serial receivers.

Finally the remote control if I remember correctly (Lutz whack me if I am wrong) I thought they reduced the power of the IR and it was not powerful enough to control domestic equipment.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

Finally the remote control if I remember correctly (Lutz whack me if I am wrong) I thought they reduced the power of the IR and it was not powerful enough to control domestic equipment.

Dang, you're right. They must have removed that feature somewhere after the 3970. Probably due to missing demand... I am using it very rarely on my 3970, mostly when I forgot AGAIN where I had put the bloody remote for the window blinds

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a remote for the window blinds! Not Worthy
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the only reason I remembered is because I have the 5450 which was the last one in the series to have the powerful CIR built in. When people upgraded to the 5550 there was a bit of an outcry in the HP forum.

My 2210 however still has CIR and Nevo, not that I use it at all.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the CIR on the 2210 really is still good! Thumbs Up
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

can you please stop wasting forum disk space? We need a rule that each message from a team member must be followed by at least one user message before another team member can respond. (Did I just break that rule? Hm....)

@Darren: When you have window blinds in your living room that are 6 meter high up with no electricity around you are thankful for every little AA battery that's sitting up there to power the motors and the IR receiver. Each blind uses 8 batteries, and they are supposed to last for a year.

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you did! Laughing That's another 562 bytes of disk space wasted 8O Laughing

I wish I just had blinds let alone electric ones Wink Let's get this one back on topic now. Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: