Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbenford
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Lost Cameras Reply with quote

Has anybody else noticed that cameras get lost between database updates. There is a camera on the A4010 in High Wycombe at 51.62116 lat and -0.78436 long which dissapeared from the TomTom OV2 files a couple of months ago. It is physically still there (I drive past it daily) and is shown on the Pocket GPS map on this site if you zoom in. It is a bit worrying that we pay £20 for the database if it is not maintained corectly and accurate in terms of displaying all permanent cameras.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and thanks for the info, I'm sure that the people here will look into this.

Quote:
It is a bit worrying that we pay £20 for the database if it is not maintained corectly and accurate in terms of displaying all permanent cameras.

No need to be like that, I'm sure that its an oversight or there is an incorrect setting somewhere.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way to get a discrepancy looked into such as this, is to post the query/ alteration on the submission page which you can find HERE This way ensures the data gets to where it will be looked into, a post within the forum is likely to be missed - Thanks Mike
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The camera was reported as being removed by 3 different users. We have since had a single report of a camer in the area. I have re-instated the original this will be in the next release of the database.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Siince my first post about cameras being removed when they were still there on the A2 there seems to be more and more people reporting the same thing at various places in the country.

My question is Whats happening?

theripper

Exclamation
Tulyar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe cameras are coming in for a 5 year service or something? Anybody know what the service/maintenance regime is on these cameras?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
Mike
Siince my first post about cameras being removed when they were still there on the A2 there seems to be more and more people reporting the same thing at various places in the country.

My question is Whats happening?

theripper

Exclamation

If I recall the ones on the A2 were as a result of some people using the old ids to report missing cameras. This caused a small number of cameras to be removed erronously. Once this issue was identified the cameras reported as being deleted in those batches were re-instated.

In this case we have some reports and verification of camera removal by trusted sources. Therefore we removed the camera. If this has been removed incorrectly then we get notification in the forums and the camera will be re-instated for the next release.

We have thousands of amendments to the database that we process every month. To put this into perspective we are talking about 19.864 valid submissions since March, and 413,623 invalid submissions. These reports can often be conflicting and confusing. Even reports from trusted submitters (myself included) can occasionally be wrong. It is not surprising that the occasional error can slip in.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find even stranger, is how cbenford posts have reverted to 1. Confused
Paul80
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this the other day

I was driving down the A406 Between Barking and Ilford (North Circular Road) and noticed that 3 Cameras that were still there had been removed from the DataBase.
pete318
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul80 wrote:
I noticed this the other day

I was driving down the A406 Between Barking and Ilford (North Circular Road) and noticed that 3 Cameras that were still there had been removed from the DataBase.
Indeed I am on this, confirming which ones are the valid ones. I have the right ones for the Barking-Ilford section. I need to confirm the Ilford to Redbridge ones though also.

You've reminded me. I'll submit the two I've done already now ;)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope you've got "favoured submitter" status Paul!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Pete, even... Embarassed
pete318
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Let's hope you've got "favoured submitter" status Paul!
Unlikely just yet, I've only submitted 2 other cameras and those still haven't appeared. I just hope some other people will pop down that bit of road and also re-activate the same correct cameras Smile
pete318
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with regards to these two cameras I've re-submitted (well I did a change on the camera ID, hope that's the right route). They clearly haven't moved in a long time. I used google earth to get their position relative to surrounding roads (the co-ords on google earth are way out :P) and found the missing cameras on the DB (well you know in the DB but 'removed'). So they've not actually moved for a while if they're in the same spot as they were when the google earth pics were taken.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete318 wrote:
And with regards to these two cameras I've re-submitted (well I did a change on the camera ID, hope that's the right route). They clearly haven't moved in a long time. I used google earth to get their position relative to surrounding roads (the co-ords on google earth are way out :P) and found the missing cameras on the DB (well you know in the DB but 'removed'). So they've not actually moved for a while if they're in the same spot as they were when the google earth pics were taken.

Pete,

Can you let me know what the IDs of the cameraas are so that I can ensure that they have been re-instated correctly.

Cheers,

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: