Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Navigator 5 issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Navigator 5 issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigid27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Navigator 5 issues Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post. I have searched for answers, to no avail. Sorry if I am double posting.

I have a Dell Axim X51v running Tomtom Navigator 5.

The first problem is when configuring my Rikaline BT GPS receiver with TT.

I am asked which port GPS is connected to. I have several to choose from as follows:-

Native IR:
COM3:
BT UART on COM5:
Se???a?? ?a??d?? st?? COM1:
COM7:

Do I need all these options? Can/how do you delete them?

Secondly, TT runs fine on the PDA but for some reason, after about 10 mins, the welcome screen on my PDA appears, usually asking me to enter my password.

Once I have entered the password, TT resumes as normal. I don't actually think it stops, as I can hear traffic camera alerts and directions/instructions throughout.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Navigator 5 issues Reply with quote

rigid27 wrote:

I am asked which port GPS is connected to. I have several to choose from as follows:-

Native IR:
COM3:
BT UART on COM5:
Se???a?? ?a??d?? st?? COM1:
COM7:

Do I need all these options? Can/how do you delete them?

Why on earth would you feel the need to delete them?
rigid27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say I wanted to delete them, I asked if it was possible and if so, how I would do it. If you read threst of the thread, you will see I'm having other issues and I therefore gave you as much information as I had.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other ports that are listed are the ones that the software could use, the Dell device further complicates matters by putting all the ??? marks in certain selections (reg edit can quite often get rid of this rubish - but as it works why bother? )
To get rid of the login screen have a look at any security settings you have made, or does the device have any (stupid) "screen saver" software loaded - if so turn it off, these settings should be in Start/ Settings system tab - Mike
rigid27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I think the issue is linked to the password application. I don't think it recognises Tomtom as a running program and therefore prompts me to enter my password after the preset time.

If I uncheck the "Prompt if device unused for" box in password settings, Tomtom runs fine. This does however, leave me with a PDA which has no password protection.

I can work around this and check and uncheck the box each time, but this is less than ideal.

Does anyone know any third party security programs which will protect my PDA with a password prompt only at power up?

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a little application that might help you with this one, it allows you to assign a hardware button to toggle the password control on and off - not too sure as to how this will work with the Dell unit, but the application does work as advertised on a WM2005 device - (I tried this ages ago on one of my PDA's - although I can't remember why - I never use the password function these days) -
Have a look at THIS - Mike
rigid27
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I had a look. I'll give it a try.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: