Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - what's the differce between Gpslim 236 and 240?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

what's the differce between Gpslim 236 and 240?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringdingbing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: what's the differce between Gpslim 236 and 240? Reply with quote

so ... very new in this market of Gps.. Saw the built in sat nav in friends car.. and now it's must have for me.

gonna be doing it Ghetto style with a pda.. hopefully the DELL x51v.......... unless someone knows of one better than that.. please let me know.. cause it's alot of cash... only thing that has WIFI 802.11b, bluetooth, fast processor for skype. I would really, very, prefer something with 802.11G.. but it's hard to find and not will to buy the SDIO wifi G stuff.

anyways back the question..

thinking of getting the Bluetooth GPS reciever.

everyone recommends the HOLUX with the new technology sirf somehtign 3, and model i see floating around is the holux 236.. now just skiming around the forum.. i see many problems with the bluetooth connection or something techincal.. and it has to flash with the new firmware but there's a risk of flashing it and etc.. sounds like a headache and .. just wondering . DOES the new holux gpslim 240 fix the problem and what are the main differences and similarities?

is it nessary to get an external antenna? will be feasible to get one. like in terms of cost/performance ration kinda analysis.

any place in canada or US that is cheap and relaible sellers.. most of the sponsors on PGW are from the UK and not willing to dish out the Custom/duty charges.

thanks again.

to remind you.. i'm very new to PGW!.
so be gentle.. i already got a warning for doing something wrong.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.buygpsnow.com are carrying GPS gear at pretty good prices.

We will be getting a 240 soon for a review, will be able to tell you more after that.

There _are_ Pocket PCs around that support wireless G, but they are few and far in between. Most notably the Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox N560

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
rakerman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: what's the differce between Gpslim 236 and 240? Reply with quote

NCIX has good prices, and handles the shipping within Canada so no customs hassles (they have a number of stores in BC).

Here's a link with my affiliate ID

http://www.ncix.com/index.php?affiliateid=5040298

I got my GPSlim236 from them (current price is Can$130), I use it over Bluetooth with my Dell Axim X51.

I wouldn't worry too much about the GPSlim236 issues reported - some of those postings are very old, from earlier models. I haven't had any problems with the GPSlim itself.

The only problem is I have yet to settle on a good PocketPC (Windows Mobile 5) GPS logging program, that will log consistently and easily without the Axim shutting down.

I think the GPSlim240 is too new for anyone to know much about how it compares with the 236.

ringdingbing wrote:
so ... very new in this market of Gps.. Saw the built in sat nav in friends car.. and now it's must have for me.

gonna be doing it Ghetto style with a pda.. hopefully the DELL x51v..........
everyone recommends the HOLUX with the new technology sirf somehtign 3, and model i see floating around is the holux 236.. now just skiming around the forum.. i see many problems with the bluetooth connection or something techincal.. and it has to flash with the new firmware but there's a risk of flashing it and etc.. sounds like a headache and .. just wondering . DOES the new holux gpslim 240 fix the problem and what are the main differences and similarities?

is it nessary to get an external antenna? will be feasible to get one. like in terms of cost/performance ration kinda analysis.

any place in canada or US that is cheap and relaible sellers.. most of the sponsors on PGW are from the UK and not willing to dish out the Custom/duty charges.

thanks again.

to remind you.. i'm very new to PGW!.
so be gentle.. i already got a warning for doing something wrong.
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: what's the differce between Gpslim 236 and 240? Reply with quote

[quote="rakerman"]I wouldn't worry too much about the GPSlim236 issues reported - some of those postings are very old, from earlier models. I haven't had any problems with the GPSlim itself.[quote]

I too use an X51v with a GPSlim 236 and have had no problems. You can see my complete set-up in my sig.

Apart from using a handheld GPS for mountain walking since 2000 (and having been around PCs since 1983) I was new to all this when I bought my stuff six months ago, after much research here. I have no regrets. Pairing the X51v & the GPSlim over Bluetooth requires care but there is a lot of info.on here. Once I'd got mine sorted I documented the procedure against the day I might have to do it again. I'd be happy to email you a copy if and when you feel the need.

Good luck.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: