Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_Dogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: i3 questions Reply with quote

Had my i3 for about a week and a half now and I'm lobin it! However, there are a few questions I have. I wish the gave a decent manual in the box, cuz the one I got didn't help much with the operation of the device. If these questions have been answered elsewhere, I do apologise cuz I know how annoying it is on forums when noobs don't search for answers to their questions.

1.) When parking the car, I take my i3 off the suction cup mount and leave the suction mount on the windscreen, as I have it perfectly positioned. BUT will the ball joint or the circular opening wear away after a while of doing this?

2.) How do I use simulation mode that I have read about in another post?

3.) Are the POIs on MaFt's site just mainland UK, or NI too?

4.) Any way to make any of the POIs visible as your driving along in map mode, like other GPS units? (Pretty certain this is a no).

5.) Are there any recent map updates for the UK? There's a few new streets (Possibly a year or so old now) in Belfast that aren't on my map.

If anyone knows of a good guide of the operation of the device, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks very much,
Chris
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: i3 questions Reply with quote

Big_Dogg wrote:
Had my i3 for about a week and a half now and I'm lobin it!

Warning - if you lob it it'll break! Wink

However, there are a few questions I have. I wish the gave a decent manual in the box, cuz the one I got didn't help much with the operation of the device.

You can download the User manual in pdf format here: http://www.garmin.com/manuals/917_OwnersManual.pdf

If these questions have been answered elsewhere, I do apologise cuz I know how annoying it is on forums when noobs don't search for answers to their questions.

1.) When parking the car, I take my i3 off the suction cup mount and leave the suction mount on the windscreen, as I have it perfectly positioned. BUT will the ball joint or the circular opening wear away after a while of doing this?

Possibly, but you certainly risk having your car broken into if you leave the mount on view

2.) How do I use simulation mode that I have read about in another post?

Settings / System / GPS Mode / select GPS Off
Then enter your destination as usual / Start Navigating.
When the route has been calculated you will get a screen saying 'Do you want to simulate driving this route?

3.) Are the POIs on MaFt's site just mainland UK, or NI too?

Don't know!

4.) Any way to make any of the POIs visible as your driving along in map mode, like other GPS units? (Pretty certain this is a no).

No. Garmin say it would make the small screen too cluttered. I agree.

5.) Are there any recent map updates for the UK? There's a few new streets (Possibly a year or so old now) in Belfast that aren't on my map.

As it's a new unit you probably have version 8, which is the latest

If anyone knows of a good guide of the operation of the device, I'd greatly appreciate it!

See above!

Thanks very much,
Chris
[/b]
Samsung Galaxy S21
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm glad you answered this one anita.. Thumbs Up
Big_Dogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ta very much Anita! The info was very much appreciated! One more thing, what's the last GPS mode (I think it's WAAS or something) do?

Cheers,
Chris
Big_Dogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and is there any way of saving your country and/or city as a default in "go to address" mode? Just this would save time.

Cheers again,
Chris

Laughing
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Dogg wrote:
Ta very much Anita! The info was very much appreciated! One more thing, what's the last GPS mode (I think it's WAAS or something) do?

You're welcome, Chris.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on EGNOS, the European equivalent of the American WAAS system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Geostationary_Navigation_Overlay_System

You might also find this discussion interesting: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38148&highlight=egnos

Big_Dogg wrote:
Oh, and is there any way of saving your country and/or city as a default in "go to address" mode? Just this would save time.

Unfortunately, no!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Big_Dogg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again, Anita.

Very helpful :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: