Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - c710 Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

c710 Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: c710 Questions Reply with quote

Hello,

Satnav newbie here. First off, thanks to everyone on these forums for all the info. I decided to take the plunge and then got stumped with all the different models and combinations thereof availble. You have really clarified quite a few things for me.

Right then, I am on the verge of putting an order for the c710. However, I have a few questions which you might be able to answer or comment on.

What I am looking for (I've tried to put them in order or rank)

1. Navigation I need something to get me from A to B, satnav seemd the the thing to me. Since I have no previous on this I am assuming from these forums the c710 does this 95% accurately. Am I right in thinking that you can select the type of road etc...? The c710 can take 7 digit post codes I think. Reliability is important here. Is the signal reliable? I drive a Mondeo for work, we've got an A4 as well (and a Spitfire in the garage), will the windscreens interfere?

2. TMC - a satnav that can reliably re-route me on request round traffic problems would be great. The problem seems to be that different people seem to have different experiences of this. I just can't decide whether to drop this requirement or not. Should I just buy a model without it if it doesn't work anyway? In what ways is the TMC on the c710 different to what you get with TomTom or the AAnavigator?

3 Speed cameras - this would be very nice. But, there seems to be an even bigger question mark over this witht he c710. How reliable is the Mio database? Also, there seems to be a big thread on the subject of getting the c710 to accept other people's databases. I have seen the thread on gpspassions linked here that shows how to load aonther database. Even though I speak fluent French it isn't clear if this would only show continental cameras. Maybe I should read through the whole thread!

Portable - I'd like a ssytem I could transfer between vehicles and use independently. I suppose the battery life is the important factor here. How long can the c710 go on its own? (I just can't get the cigarette lighter to work in the Spitfire!).

Is the c710 right for me? is the answer 42?

Any answers and thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

Alex

Sorry about all the questions
mgrah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my personal opinions:

First of all, the answer, of course, is 42.

1. I've had over 95% success (say 99,5%) with my C710 over the last month, travelling about 7600kms through Scandinavia, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium and The Netherlands. I've had some minor problems with road contruction sites and occational snap-to-the-wrong-road phenomena, but otherwise it's been excellent! Windscreen interference is only a problem if you have a heat deflecting windscreen, I've had no problems whatsoever with my Volvo V70/Ford Fiesta. And I was surprised to find out that the reception works pretty well (though with limited accuracy) even inside buildings, with very limited visual contact with the satellites...

2. In my earlier post I've already complained about the lack of a manual reroute option for the TMC. Otherwise it works well, but not without the included antenna (ugly, btw). Avoidance works, but I've had it turned off and have manually checked the messages if anything seems to show up on the road ahead of me. Also, I miss the possibility to just touch a TMC symbol anywhere on the map to get the message displayed.

3. Camera warnings work in all the countries menitionned above, but the mobility of the devices means that it's difficult to drive "safely" with only the guidance system as a detection method. Nevertheless, I've had warnings for almost all cameras that I have seen (and quite a few that were not there). Some kind of synchronization with use-edited cameras seem to be available which means that over time the database should improve as more users use this feature.

4. The unit is very protable, easy to mount, easy to move, easy to handle, BUT the stated 5hour stand-by time is greatly overrated. My guess is that a maximum of 2.5 hours is supported with backlight on. I have not tested that to a great extent though, since my 12V connectors work and when using the unit as a pedestrian it's mostly been switched off anyway.

Compared to the other units I've tested (Mio 269, Volvo RTI, ViaMichelin) this is one of the better. Although the RTI is way superior in features and usability, it is not portable (mounted in the Volvos) and is way more expenisve (at least a factor 4 here).

I hope that helps,
/M
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgrah,

Thanks for that, just the kind of response I was hoping for.

I do think the TMC integration should include an option to choose to divert rather than the system just doing it for you automatically. THere ae some traffic jams that are just "there" (M25) and no amount of re-routing will save time. That's if I have understood how the system deos things anyway.

Just a thought. Does the unit have an earphone jack? Because if it does I was thinking of routing this to my AUX input on the car stereo which would give me the instruction and bluetooth phone on the car speakers?

Anyway, just need to get the Capital Expenditure form signed off by the boss at home. I'm sure I am doing the right thing.

Cheers,
Alex
mgrah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, always nice to help!

There's an earphone jack, but it's shared with the TMC radio connector. However, I assume that any cable would work as an antenna for the device, as is common for most FM portable radios etc.

The Bluetooth connection is somewhat limited with my Ericsson T68 (five years old) but I guess with a newer phone (check the compatibility list at www.mio-tech.be) it should work better.

/Mikael
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I am pleased with the 710. TMC works. The bluetooth\hands free functions extremely well with my Motorola V3i.
On journeys I know well, it has saved time and distance by sending me down roads I didn't even know were there. I had to go to an out-of-the-way place at the weekend down strange motorways and it took me straight there.
Slight quibbles are: When a TMC road problem shows up, you have to touch the tiny satellite icon and then the TMC bar to get to the problem. It is very distracting. Always telling you you are over the speed limit when you're not but this almost ceased to be a problem when the tolerance was adjusted to 60% for some reason. Announces non-existent speed cameras sometimes. Voice directions are American male but to be honest, he sounds better than the barking Brit who makes you feel like a naughty boy."Support" is bad.
All in all I'm chuffed with it. Up top now.
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Inspector.

Is the speed thing down to the unit measuring kph as a unit of speed rather than mph? 60% sounds like it is seeing 50 mph as 30 mph which is 50 kph (if you seem what I mean?).

From reading the forum the one thing that does sem to be a big negative is the level of support from Mio on questions about the POI and speed camera databases. What happens after 1 year? Is the database accurate? etc... Not that you should be speeding anyway but still. It would be nice to be able to download external POIs as well I suppose. But then I have survived this far without any of these things OK.

Cheers
Alex
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask. The voice can be changed can't it? I read here somewhere about downloading different voices.

I think I'd find an American voice really, really gratting.

cheers
Alex
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Palexr,

I'm not too bothered about downloading the Mitech database. I tried and failed a number of times and, as stated elsewhere, the Mitech "support" failed to respond to my emails. It seems to be a bit suspect anyway. I'll just use the ones that are on. How they can charge after 12 months seems a bit mean to me. I have no doubts some of the techies on here will find a workround shortly.
I think it must be in kilomotres. The 60% thing works fine anyhow.
Regarding the voice, believe me, I was like you but once you've heard the barking Brit, you will leave the American guy on. He has a softer more relaxing voice and he gets you from a to b.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palexr wrote:
Is the speed thing down to the unit measuring kph as a unit of speed rather than mph? 60% sounds like it is seeing 50 mph as 30 mph which is 50 kph (if you seem what I mean?).

Confirmed as a bug in iGO. Oops, MioMap.

As I stated in my review, the british female voice Philippa is by far the most pleasant and the easiest to understand.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a look at the language options on my 710 e and, sadly, there is no Phillipa in the options. The only English-speaking options are Jason (US) and Thomas (UK). Sixteen options in all and that's it.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInspector wrote:
I have had a look at the language options on my 710 e and, sadly, there is no Phillipa in the options. The only English-speaking options are Jason (US) and Thomas (UK). Sixteen options in all and that's it.

If you browse around the forum you will find out how to get Phillipa installed. Personally I like the English gent - I think he'd make a great James Bond.

Sal
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses.

I noticed your post http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43803 about the possibility of using 3rd party dayabases, which answers my greatest reservation about the unit.

I can't really see any reason to buy any other brand.

cheers
alex

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: