Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Technical Questions?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Technical Questions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Technical Questions? Reply with quote

When you touch the signal strength meter on the Nuvi 310 it brings up the screen that shows (I GUESS) all the current satellites that the units tracking. Whats the purpose of the inner and outer circles, and the little grey and red image thats shown? Confused

Secondly, there are two Gatso's in my area, one thats not shown on the database and the other in the wrong position. So today I stood under the cameras and saved the positions by using 'My Current Location' and saving them to 'Favourites'. The Co-ordinates saved on the Nuvi dont tally up with the map on the submissions page, are there two types of Co-ordinates systems used? Confused
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer ring represents the horizon, with the inner rings representing somewhere more overhead. With everything being equal, you should get a better signal from any satellites nearer the middle. The little red and grey symbol represents the direction you are moving in. Try it by looking at the screen and then walking up and down your path/drive. The little symbol should move around the perimeter each time you change direction; basically it's acting like a compass.

You will also see a little sun or moon symbol. These show where the sun/moon is in relation to the direction you are travelling. All very clever.
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, so I take it that the green flashing satellites are the ones that are low on the horizon and difficult for the system to lock onto?
12ush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can anyone please tell me how to restore my previous software version on my Nuvi 310 to version 2.40 from 2.50. I copied the files off it before i did the upgrade but not sure if just copying them back over top will work or damage it.

Thanks.
12ush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the 2.40 file i needed and have rolled my Nuvi back. MP3 player working again. YAY!!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT-Mech wrote:
Thanks for that, so I take it that the green flashing satellites are the ones that are low on the horizon and difficult for the system to lock onto?

The flashing ones are the ones it is trying to aquire. It has to "see" them for 30 to 60 seconds without interruption for it to lock and then they go solid.

If something gets in the way (tree, bus building etc) then it has to go back to square one and start over. This is why it's easier to get a lock when you are not moving then when you are on the move and satellites come and go all the time.

Once they are locked, they can be re-aquired instantly, it's just the initial lock that takes a minute.

As for the position of the speed cameras, you may have your unit set for the wrong co-ordinate format. Read this thread and see if that answers your question.
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy, that explains why Slough has been moved to the middle of Surry Idea

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: