Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gps problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gps problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
judgemint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Gps problems Reply with quote

just got a garmin etrex vista cx. I am a complete novice I am having trouble getting started the manual doesn't realy show what to do as far as doing things such as parking your truck going in the woods and finding your way back. I understand how to start a waypoint at the beginning by pushing in the thumbstick and pushing it in at your destination or other points of interest, But I don't understand what to do to go find it. Do I use the compass page?? I understand if I hit go to it just shows a straight line to the waypoint flag. Ther is a video from garmin on this unit Does anyone know if this is anygood?? If someone could show me step by step on how to start I could probably get the other things going Thanx
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Gps problems Reply with quote

judgemint wrote:
just got a garmin etrex vista cx. I am a complete novice I am having trouble getting started the manual doesn't realy show what to do as far as doing things such as parking your truck going in the woods and finding your way back. I understand how to start a waypoint at the beginning by pushing in the thumbstick and pushing it in at your destination or other points of interest, But I don't understand what to do to go find it. Do I use the compass page?? I understand if I hit go to it just shows a straight line to the waypoint flag. Ther is a video from garmin on this unit Does anyone know if this is anygood?? If someone could show me step by step on how to start I could probably get the other things going Thanx

Hi There Smile ,

There are a few more consdierations when using a GPS to navigate back to a point.....

Take a look at the link below - there are two manuals written by Garmin for GPS newbies to help them understand GPS and how to use it in practial situations.

http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/manual.html

I'm not familiar with your specific unit so I can't help you with the button pushing I'm afraid Smile

Hope this helps!!

Chris
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Garmin etrex, It is an old one, about 4 years old, so its not the vista, which I use for walking. When you want to walk somewhere, switch the etrex on, and wait till it says its ready to navigate. When its ready, you have to mark your position, then you simply walk. On the way, you can also set way points, if you start at "The Carpark", then set a waypoint at "The Pond", and another one at "Hill Top", If you call up "The Map View", you can see where you are, and where you have been, it will leave a TRACK, on the map. (note, Map is what they call the page, there are no maps on my etrex). From this page, you have a general idea of where you are, and where the pond, car park is etc. If you then want to re-trace your steps, back the way you came, you can start a "track back", If the wife is dying for the Loo, Laughing Out Loud, you can start a "Go To", and go straight to the car park, and not re-trace your steps, it will lead you straight back to the car park. To start a Go To,

1/ Press the page button, and go to the menu page.
2/ Press up/down, and highlight waypoints, then enter.
3/ Press up/down, and highlight where you want to go, ie car park, then enter.
4/ From this page, Review page, Press up/down, and highlight Go To, Enter.

The compass page will appear. The pointer tells you the direction to the car park, walk in the direction the pointer is pointing. If the arrow points right, walk right, if the pointer points left, walk left, if the pointer points down, you are going the wrong way, turn 180 degreese. On the compass screen, you will see a thin line, at the top, when you are walking the correct way, the arrow, and any waypoint icons you use to show the car park, will be lined up with the thin line, at the top. It will also show you, how far the car park is away, and how far you have left to walk, just keep the arrow pointing up. It's a bit akward to explain on here, the best thing to do is go for a walk round the block, and then have a fiddle with it. Better still, a field or a park. You can also display Ordinance survay co-ordinants, and look on an Ordinance Survey map, and see where you are on the map. If you get stuck, post again.
judgemint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx guys

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: