Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio P350 + Wifi Card better than P550?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio P350 + Wifi Card better than P550?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavapies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Mio P350 + Wifi Card better than P550? Reply with quote

Hi,
In view of all the GPS sensitivity/reception problems that seem to be experienced by owners of the P550, wonder if anyone has any thoughts about the idea of buying a P350 and extra Wifi SDIO card? (£30 on ebay). Would this ammount to the same thing with better reception, and also less costly?

Can onyone see any disadvantages to this? Any advice appreciated :-)

P.S. I'm wanting to buy a PDA/Tomtom combo (also for MemoryMap use) and like the P550 but am put off by the sensitivity probs reported by the tests over at GPSPassion forum.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the following two items elsewhere, which may help.

Quote:
i have a p550 & ttn5 5.21. guess i'm lucky but i've not had any problems. try these settings.

on the p550 gps program port = com4. gps hardware port = com 2. baud rate 4800. access, manage gps automatically is ticked.

on ttn5, other nmea gps, 4800 baud rate, gps_com.

if you want ttn5 to get a slightly faster fix then download visualGPS(free, do a google search), drop the .cab file over to your p550, install and run it. then click connect, serial port(comm port) then choose com4 and 4800 baud rate. you should do all this outside/by a window to get the connection. then after it has a connection, open ttn5 and change the port from gps_com to com4 (the virtual port)

if you always leave ttn5 open then you can now close visualGPS or(like me) just leave it open in the background so you can open and close ttn5 at will.

slow/ no connection is the fault of ttn5 interacting with the p550. try running igo on the p550 and you'll see what i mean (it auto finds the right settings and gets a connection in a snap.

hope the above helps.

This business with Tomtom and the lack of certain gps messages has been dicussed at some length at gpspassion (in French: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57173&SearchTerms=,p550). I've got the gist of it with the translation assistance of google, and the issue seems to be that Mio have set things up so that some gps messages are disabled by default, as Mio Map doesn't use them. If you reset the Sirf chip using something like CE Monitor (http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/downloads.asp?id=1) , it starts sending them again, and TT is happy. I believe you need to do this every time you reset your device (not sure if thats all types of resets).

My P550 seems ok with TT5, although as a gps newbie I don't haven't anything to compare it to. I've also just bought Destinator 6 as it came with European maps at less than TT's maps alone. It also seems to work, but the display seems to lag actual position more.

lavapies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'd actually read the post you mention about tomtom probs, and it seems there are workarounds for some of the locking onto satellite issues. what concerned me more is a post over at gpspassion where sensitivity of gps reception between P350 and P550 was compared and found to much much weaker on the P550:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56706

There seemed to be some people thinking this could be down to WifI implementation interfering with GPS in some way. For this reason, was wondering if P350 + additional Wifi may get all features without compromising signal quality?
doogy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had my P550 for just over a month and have to say I've been very impressed. I use a Garmin Etrex Legend for outdoor stuff etc and compared to that the GPS on the P550 is fantastic...I can get a fix on 6-10 sats (while up to 11 are in view) indoors (downstairs in the house). I have Mio Map, TTN 5.21 and Memory Map pocket navigator installed on a 1GB SD card. I use Visual GPSce and winfast navigator as tools just to check settings etc but so far every time I've used the unit it's been spot on. I did fiddle a bit when I first got it with GPS settings etc and did have to do one re-install (my fault) but no other problems.
Now the issue of wi-fi card + P350 v P550....for me having one unit with it all is best...remember the P550 also has BT. If you search the many PDA forums, SD wi-fi cards seem to have more compatibility problems than high capacity SD memory cards so beware of which combination you choose. Also, external wi-fi cards consume more battery power and stick out of the unit a bit so may need removing every time you put the PDA in a case. It also means that if you are running GPS software with big maps on an SD card you'll have to keep swapping cards when you want to use wi-fi etc. I use my P550 for BBC News, google etc (specific PDA sites) and for outlook email....both work very quickly and were easy to set up.
On the downside....MIO Support seems to be rubbish...never get a response from emails and the call centre is on a premium rate number at 35p per minute. However, with just a little bit of patience and help on these forums I'm sure whichever way you go you'll be satisfied.

Good luck

Craig
lavapies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks doogy... your experience with the P550 is quite encouraging... especially as you are using the same software I hope to be using (Tomtom for in car and MemoryMap for walking). If the unit works as good as a Garmin for walking and without probs in car then it's certainly good enough for my needs. Can anyone recommend an online shop that has good customer service/returns policy, so if I buy one and experience probs I don't have to worry about probs with sending it back and getting a refund?
doogy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bear in mind lavapies that using the unit for walking will have the restriction of the battery as it's main downfall. I still use my Garmin as it lasts 20+hours on 2300mAh batteries and can be dropped in mud and washed clean...something I wouldn't advise with the Mio. However the P550 is a nice to have addition as a backup and the OS maps from MM look great on the 3.5" display.

Regards

Craig
lavapies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Craig good advice about battery life... I reckon 4 hours may be enough for my needs though as I only really plan to use it in to confirm where I am on the paper OS map. I reckon I may get one of the waterproof cases that seem to be available for it too. Can you recommend any online shops at all ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a decent waterproof case that also offers a good degree of protection if you drop the unit try http://www.otterbox.com/ If you want additional information how to get 12 hours life from one of these units when coupled with a home made battery pack that is part of the case give me a shout, its not rocket science - I use mine on a regular basis - Mike
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my P550 from Globalpositioningsystems and because I was having problems setting up TomTom, I returned it to them and they were very good. Get a return number, return it, get a refund.
Avoid Pixmania, their return process is a nightmare! See my post on the retailers to avoid forum.
Doug
lavapies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug I actually just read your "retailers to avoid" thread before I saw this post! I'm tempted to go with either them or gpsforless who seem to get a lot of good recommendations too. thanks again.

- also thanks for the casing advice mike they look like a really good option for protecting the pda in rubbish weather. cheers
doogy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought from Clove Technology...excellent service as I had a problem with the supplied 512 SD card and on calling them at 1pm on the Tuesday a replacement arrived special delivery at 8am on Wednesday. Also..you always get an answer on the phone when you call...just as customer service should be...not some automated system or having to hold for ages

Craig
lavapies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Craig although I ordered earlier today from globalpositioningsystems. Think I got a good price they did a pricematch with Handtec and i got it for £238inc vat.. ordered next day delivery so will receive tommorow and will of course relate +ve or -ve experiences (hopefully + :-) ... hope I didn't get one with the GPS alignment issue... Hoping for the best!
doogy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck lavapies and I too hope you get a good 'un!
lavapies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on my experience with P550 .. just received the unit and have installed TomTom and MemoryMap.....

Well -- ups and downs!

Ups: Good fast PDA MemoryMap maps look great and Tomtom looks good too, good bright screen and speaker is plenty loud enough in car.

Downs: Has difficulty acquiring GPS fix in car BUT my Peugeot 206 has a coated windscreen. When I put unit under black dots in middle of screen it gets a fix with 5 sats. So, if others would still manage to acquire a signal behind my windscreen I don't know?

Signal Strength Notes: Both in my house next to window and outside I normally 9-12 sats in view (VisualGPSce) but only using 3-6 max of these. Is this normal, or should it be using more than 3-6?

Thanks folks, any tips appreciated :-)
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading around this problem because the P550 is quite high on my list to replace my current unit.

From what I can glean, there is no reason why one unit should be be better than the other, other than the fact that there was a fault with some of the chips.

I understand that the faulty units are being replaced.

Until we can be sure that the P550s being supplied are up to spec, there is probably no reason to consider a wireless SD card/P350 solution to obtain better GPS reception. And as for price, many of the SD cards available are around the difference in cost between the P350 and P550, but they don't appear to have any memory! So it does somewhat render the unit with the wireless SD card fitted a little useless for anything which requires SD memory.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: