Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsbravo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: POI Questions Reply with quote

First, let me say that I have learned a lot from this website, even though I am in the US and yawl seem to be based primarily in the UK. This website has been, and continues to be, a very valuable resource for learning about TTN and GPS systems in general. Okay, I think that's enough butt kissing.

I have a few questions about POI's- namely categories and alerts. First, I am running TTN5 on a Palm TX with a 2GB SD card, which connects via Bluetooth to a HoluxGPSlim 236 receiver. In addition, I have an external antenna I just added.

With reference to POI categories, I understand that you are limited to 29. Is there a limit within that? I mean, how many addresses can you have within a category?

The second question, will be based on personal preference more than anything else. But, how much warning time do you allow for your POI alerts? I'm sure it changes over time as you get used to them and you make adjustments. But on the initially setup, in general how much notice do you give yourself.

Thanks in advance for your help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good choice of hardware, although I have never tried TTN on my TX, the 236 is a great unit - mutual Butt kissing over! Laughing Laughing

The POI limit is 39 seperate custom POI's loaded to your map folder, if you want to install more, put them in a seperate folder on your PC and move them to the active map folder on the Palm when required, unless you have some sort of file manipulation program loaded on the TX (I must admit I seldom use mine, its for a specific work related activity).

Distances are very subjective to an individual, I prefer to convert the distance into time, then work out the number of yards for a given speed, for example at 70 MPH I use 1027 Yards, for a full listing have a look at the table towards the end of THIS - Mike
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can use CheckPOInt, which gives a warning at a specified time before reaching the POI, automatically correcting for your current speed
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
gsbravo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Time/Distance chart is just what I was looking for, thanks. It's nice to know that this or that is coming up in a 1/4 mile, but knowing how soon is better (IMO).

CheckPOInt doesn't work with the Palm OS, or this other program that I forget the name of at the moment that'll change the colors at sunset. Otherwise, it would be a good solution.

Thabnsk for the reply.
gsbravo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Time/Distance chart is just what I was looking for, thanks. It's nice to know that this or that is coming up in a 1/4 mile, but knowing how soon is better (IMO).

CheckPOInt doesn't work with the Palm OS, or this other program that I forget the name of at the moment that'll change the colors at sunset. Otherwise, it would be a good solution.

Thanks for the reply.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Palm device so you can only run the single application at anyone time, if you run up another application the previous one will unload and stop (one of the reasons I prefer the PPC, where multiple simultanious programs can be run) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: