Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Car Kit for 1940 installed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Car Kit for 1940 installed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thax1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Tomtom Car Kit for 1940 installed Reply with quote

Hi All.

PCWorld are now stocking the Ipaq 1940 Car Kit. I'd been looking for a neat, active mount for the 1940 for a while.

tomtom.com have not been listing it as a separate product.

Thought i'd give you my 2p's worth on it.

At £49.99 it sounds a bit steep, but thats probably nothing compared to the cost of nokia car kits. I wanted it for the company motor, so it had to look fairly neat, alongside the phone cradle.

It comes with lots of attachments in the box - windscreen mount, vent mount, sticky and screw-fixing.

I've pulled all the dash out of the car ('03 Vectra), and snipped the power cable to the cig. lighter. Then wired this into a little terminal block, with the tomtom lead (supplied).

The dummy switches on the vectra dash pull out one by one, so I removed one and cut a little 4mm square hole on the lower edge of one. The heater/ac controls all pull out too, to allow the cable to be routed behind them.

Thankfully it all clipped back together OK, those little plastic clips are more resilient these days!!

I've opted for the vent mount at the moment which is surprisingly rigid on this car, but that must be sheer luck with the design of the louvres. It can lift up as you grab the ipaq though. The other option was sticking it to the dash, which partly obscures one of the buttons (alarm override?).

I had a major problem getting the ipaq to clip down into the cradle and start charging. It wouldnt line up quite right with the connector - these things feel SO fragile. I dismantled the cradle, and worked the connector in and out about 30 times, it started to ease up.
Then, it left the ipaq in the cradle as i re-assembled. This means the connector is correctly aligned.

Now it all works well, and the 1940 clips in with a firm sound, and stays there.

Good luck.
JT.
Erintech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful post - thanks.

You might find this useful:

I also have an 03 Vectra. I've installed the "angle" smartclip (see smartclip review elsewhere on this site). It fits really well on the Vectra - adjacent to the hazard switch (one side slides between the left of the hazard switch and the console, the other goes between the glovebox structure and the console). The end result is very professional looking, and is very solid.

My only reservation is that the location is a bit away from my line of sight. The "centre" option would be better, but I had a concern that it would block an air vent. Can't win!

Anyway, I am very pleased with the end result.

Did you notice if they have a 2210 version out yet?
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any possibilities of posting a few pictures?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: