Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTone with Europe maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTone with Europe maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sd2728
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: TTone with Europe maps Reply with quote

Hi all,

Would like to jump into the Sat nav bandwagon and after reading many reviews, I am settled down on either the Tomtom 910 or the Tomtom One with Western Europe maps.

I am concerned about the 910 cradle mount issues you can read everywhere but having gone to look at the 910 at the week end, I am also now more concerned about the size of unit... in effect, If you do not want to leave it in the car... you pretty much need a rug sack to carry the thing around (unless it is winter and you have a winter coat on with large pockets).

On the other hand the TTone is really easily pocketable and considering I do not need all the Gizmo's the 910 offer (just need a Sat nav, I already have a bluetooth car kit + 40G mp3 player) it seems to be the best alternatives except for the map coverage...

So I would like to understand if it is possible to:
- get a TTOne at £219 (saw it at this price in couples of shops) buy a 2Gb SD card (£60) and go to http://www.tomtom.com/plus/services/mds.php to download the Western Europe map for €119 (£80) and get a Seamless Western Europe Mapped TTOne for £359?
- get a TTOne at £219 (saw it at this price in couples of shops) and buy the WE map on SD card for €180 (£110) and get a Seamless Western Europe Mapped TTOne for £345?

Has anybody tried or know if that would work?

Also the WE maps on SD card seems not to be sold on TT web site anymore (no prices, maybe awaiting an update) and not many shops seems to carry them in stock. Does anybody know where is the cheapest place to buy it where they have stock?

Thanks in advance.

Stephane
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about one if the garmin units like the nuvi range or the navman icn 530

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
sd2728
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true, these were also on my list, but having read quite a few reviews and group tests, none of them seems to be as good as the Tomtom. But it is true that they are very pocketable and carry Europe maps as standard.
It that solution TTone + WE maps is not feasible, that maybe I would have to reconsider.

Thanks.
Stephane
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one way round the single map would be to get the maps of western europe cd pack you could then put for example with 2gb sd card

uk plus map uk street level plus major roads of europe

the rest of the other country maps on to the same sd card

the one draw back with this option is that youll have to switch from the plus map to the specific country map for full street level navigation

so a plus map would take you to just outside the town your visiting then youd swith to the country map to get the the destination

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven round Europe with one plus map and several national maps. It takes less than ten seconds to change maps so I would not worry about having to change maps. Any plus map will navigate you seamlessly across Europe on major roads (and majotr means everything but the very minor in my experieince) so you only need change to the national map when very near you final destination.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or have a look at this thread http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=226466&highlight=#226466 It details a stockist carrying the WE maps on a single Memory card - saves a lot of messing around copying files to and from the SD card - Mike
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the TT One with the seamless Euro card from http://www.inkino.co.uk/zen/ which is 2Gb. The CD sets & DVDs are separate maps so you'd need to change at each border if you wanted street level coverage.
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In practice, except at bordrs like the English Channel where there is some inevitable waiting arrouind, yo ucan change just when you get to your destination town, or when you need to search for local POIs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: