Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 700 on ebay
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 700 on ebay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Go 700 on ebay Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace my short lived Go 510 (4 day life!) and I see Go 700's on ebay, for £200 (or a little more), from China. I know it's a gamble but I've bought plenty of camera gear from HK and China no problems. Any experiences or comments ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch the method of payment if they accept a method that is underwritten you stand a chance of getting your cash back if it all goes wrong, if its a money transfer only, and the deal looks too good - then it probably is best to stay clear. Having found the ads for the 700, check the payment methods - I would't touch that one - Mike
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 words IMPORT DUTY you will/maybe screwed buy british Wink
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check their feedback ratings AND click on some of the auctions they refere to. When I did that on one all of the auctions he had positive feedback for were for a plate of noodles!!! Obviously scammers way of building up positive feedback (post and win auction using dirrent names and then leave yourself positive feedback)
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided the ebay route was too dodgy and the bottom line is I still wanted a 710 if they would work okay. I've therefore bitten the bullet and bought a replacement 710 from PC World, who price matched the best internet price of £345 (Satnav2u.com).

I have to say that Satnav2u were superb when I returned my original one to them. Great service and I can't fault them, I just wanted a replacement from a different batch, hence the trip to PC World

Hopefully the new one will work better than the last one did. (Dodgy bluetooth, up to 12 minutes to lock on satellites and finally, death of the power switch after 4 days) Watch this space and I'll report my findings.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried the second one and it won't work at all! Either I can't operate a power switch, I am the world's unluckiest purchaser of electronic gadgets or there is a problem with quality control on the tomtom Go 510!
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now reset the rascal after leaving it on the charger whilst I went out for a meal at my local pub and it is now booting up and appears to have a life. Unfortunately I can't try it out in the car because it's late on Friday night and I'm a little P****d.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saudidave wrote:
up to 12 minutes to lock on satellites

On first use, and if left un-used for a long time, it can this long to pick up all the data it needs to work correctly. If the vehicle is moving it before it gets a valid GPS fix it can take that long as well.

saudidave wrote:
I've now reset the rascal after leaving it on the charger whilst I went out for a meal

In the instructions for the older units, it suggests that the Device be charged up before use. I don't know if that still applies.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 510 was taking up to 12 minutes to lock on to satellites every morning when it had been on the charger cradle overnight. It was put back in to the car at the same place the car had been parked when it was removed from the car. My tt navigator 5 on an XDAiis and thinknavi cradle (sirf star 2, not 3!) takes an average of 30 secs max and my Garmin i3, (£130), takes less than a minute.

I've tried the new one in the car this morning; it got a lock in less than a minute and the hands free worked OK. (The hands free on the original one I had was intermittent). Everything appears to be auguring well.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived with the second 510 for 5 days now and all seems well. A cold start up after a night charging and it usually locates satellites in less than a minute. After that it is instant if you turn it on where it was turned off or a matter of a few seconds in a new location.

Tracking position is accurate and fast. In navigation mode it is very good. Precise instructions with good timing.

The phone reception is a little quiet but not a problem unless on the motorway at high speed (I'm using it in a new 55 reg Mondeo). I have the volume set at about 65% for navigation but I have to turn it up to 100% if I'm trvelling at 60 mph plus and get a phone call.

I am pleased with it.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saudidave wrote:
I have the volume set at about 65% for navigation but I have to turn it up to 100% if I'm trvelling at 60 mph plus and get a phone call.

If you go into Change Preferences and Volume Preferences you can link the Volume to the vehicle speed.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volume is linked to speed but you still can't hear the phone whilst the navigation voice is perfectly audible! The phone appears to be much quieter than the navigation voice.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saudidave wrote:
The volume is linked to speed but you still can't hear the phone whilst the navigation voice is perfectly audible! The phone appears to be much quieter than the navigation voice.

I believe that you can adjust the volume of the phone independently of the sat nav voice. While you are making a phone call hit the phone icon and I understand a different menu comes up, which includes volume settings for the phone.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
saudidave wrote:

I believe that you can adjust the volume of the phone independently of the sat nav voice. While you are making a phone call hit the phone icon and I understand a different menu comes up, which includes volume settings for the phone.

Certainly works this way for the 700. Makes a huge difference to the volume.
saudidave
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
saudidave wrote:

That doesn't seem to be the case with the 510. If you hit the phone icon a menu comes up but you can't alter the phone volume via it. You can however adjust the unit volume whilst making a phone call and take it up to 100% which helps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: