Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help! Which GPS combination should I go for?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Which GPS combination should I go for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Help! Which GPS combination should I go for? Reply with quote

Hi

I am thinking of buying a portable sat nav for the car. I guess a handheld version will have more value as i can use the PDA facilities like Outlook/contacts etc.

I am suffering from information overload and need to make a decision soon.

I nearly went for one of the following 'bundles' on offer but I need some opinions especially from people already using one of these combinations:

1) Globalsat Bluetooth GPS Receiver + TomTom Navigator 2 + iPAQ H2210 + Arkon Mount + 128mb CF card

2)Haicom GPS + TomTom Navigator 2 + Viewsonic Pocket PC V35 + Mount + 128mb SD card

3) Haicom GPS + TomTom Navigator 2 + iPAQ H2210 + Arkon Mount + 128mb CF card

4) TomTom: Navigator 2 GPS (Bluetooth) with GB maps + iPAQ H2210 (Bluetooth)

I thought a TT bluetooth hardware with TT2 software & iPAQ 2210 might be good on the basis that only 2 manufactures are involved & therefore less complications....but I have read some posts where people have had problems...so now I am really don't know which way to jump.

As you may have guessed I haven't got a clue about Sat Navs as I am new to the subject. I don't know what you think of the above but your comments will be appreciated.

Please help! Crying
Kingston 512Mb CF
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinop,

number four certainly looks like the combination that makes most sense for your requirements. There are some discussions going on around the stability of BT receivers, but this can also be due to some lemon units. In general there are more working BT receivers than defunct ones.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
vinop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Vinop,

number four certainly looks like the combination that makes most sense for your requirements. There are some discussions going on around the stability of BT receivers, but this can also be due to some lemon units. In general there are more working BT receivers than defunct ones.

Hi Lutz

Thanks for the reply. I have been away so I am now catching up on this GPS thing!
I thought I would look at TomTom BT GPS posts but there does not seem to be a TomTom section in the 'GPS Hardware' area. Does TomTom come under another manufacturer?

By the way another couple of combinations came to mind and I will appreciate your opinion:

1) Emtac bluetooth GPS receiver + TTN2 + H2210 + 256mb CF memory

2) Haicom 303 MMF CF GPS receiver +TTN2 + H2210 + 128mb SD memory

Having read a few posts I get the impression that Emtac is preety good and the Haicom 303 CF seems slow.
The more I read the more I cannot decide. I guess the choice of receiver is the only thing that is holding me up as I am happy with the TTN2 software + H2210.

So for the receiver....pick one out for me.......Tomtom BT, Emtac BT or Haicom CF option?

Thanks again

Vino
Kingston 512Mb CF
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vino,

there is not much difference between the Emtac and the TomTom BT receivers. The TomTom looks nicer (subjectively) and it lasts a little bit longer than the Emtac. Your call - I don't actually know the price difference for these where you live, maybe you can use this as a deciding factor.

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
vinop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz

Thanks very much for that. I must say that the TomTom does look nice.

By the way when you say TomTom last a bit longer I take you mean the power/battery charge. (sorry i am a total newbie).
Kingston 512Mb CF
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. sorry I didn't explain it better.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
leaky_pipe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Ipaq 2210 and GlobalSat Reply with quote

Hi Vino,
Like you I am brand new to the GPS IPAQ world. If it helps I have an IPAQ 2210 with a Global Sat BT. Although I had one or two interesting moments on set up I now have no probs with the combination. The battery life of the Global Sat seems very good and the signal strength was better than my GPS mouse at times. Seems quite accurate in positioning too. The range of the BT seems perhaps a little shorter than some other models but not an issue for me

Hope that helps

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: