Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Question re Mobile Camera entries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Question re Mobile Camera entries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Question re Mobile Camera entries Reply with quote

Ok, so I fully understand the point and rationale behind having the fixed GATSOs, Red Light Cams, SPECS etc in the database. Even the roadworks/temp SPECs and GATSOs. However, can someone explain to me the logic behind having the mobile sites listed? This isn't meant to sound like I'm having a go or anything, and if I can get an explanation that makes sense to me I'll hold up my hands and apologise, but by the time the entries make it to the database, the cameras are long gone, and may not return to that point for months- or even ever again. If it were a 'real time' system like the TomTom one 'claims' to be (and I don't hold any faith in that method either, seeing as a lot of their fixed sites are out of date) then I can see the validity of having mobiles in there.

I've got the database on my TT910, mainly to get used to how it handles POIs, but the sheer number of mobile sites certainly means that getting a warning when near one would probably have your TT beeping and bleeping for most of the trip.

Anyway, rant over. Any and all reasonings behind having mobile camers listed gratfully received. Oh, and if this has been covered before, just point me in the direction of that thread and feel free to close/lock this one. Too many threads to search and not enough time to do it Sad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mobile sites are there as they postions are usually regularly frequented by mobile camera vans personally id rather have a warning than no warning

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sort of figured that was the case I think. It just seems that with the growing incidents of mobile sites, pretty soon the TT (or other device) will either be a constant stream of alert beeps, or if displaying only, all you'll see on screen is the mobile sites and your position arrow Confused

I put the blame for this on the people siting the cameras rather than the database, it's just a little odd to see a whole swathe of little mobile camera icons on your map screen when you really need the map. Horses for courses I suppose. Maybe we (as a country, not a site) should try to get the number of mobile sites reduced? Surely if a camera is present at one point frequently then it must justify replacing it with a fixed camera?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah the income from a gatso would be less than from a mobile i would think as if the vans there at irregular intervals then people will forget the cameravan stops there

device Lumia 950 xl
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings us neatly round to the "revenue or safety" arguement....but for the sake of sanity, let's not go there Rolling Eyes
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true same as the speed limiter debate 15 years on still no data to whether they saved any lives Laughing Laughing

device Lumia 950 xl
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re Mobile Camera entries Reply with quote

HappyTrucker wrote:
can someone explain to me the logic behind having the mobile sites listed? This isn't meant to sound like I'm having a go or anything, and if I can get an explanation that makes sense to me I'll hold up my hands and apologise, but by the time the entries make it to the database, the cameras are long gone, and may not return to that point for months- or even ever again.
Lots of the mobile locations are used regularly and, in fact, some forces don't use any fixed cameras. I'd rather get a beep the 9 times that the van is not there than miss the one beep when it is there!
HappyTrucker wrote:

I've got the database on my TT910
If you don't want the mobiles, do you realise that you can load the other types without the mobiles? Or edit the single database to remove the mobiles?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Question re Mobile Camera entries Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
If you don't want the mobiles, do you realise that you can load the other types without the mobiles? Or edit the single database to remove the mobiles?

Yeah, I put them on with the rest, but am considering removing them. I've got them set up just to show now, not warn. On a 5 mile stretch the other day the damn thing alerted me to about half a dozen mobile cameras that weren't there. There's just too many mobile ones out there these days. If they are accident black spots then they deserve fixed cameras. Anything else has got to be purely revenue based. I can see it now:

Local Council Official: "Hmm...the income from the Council Tax is running out and we're still 3 months short of the end of the financial year. What can we do?"
Local Council Official 2: "Well, we haven't had a mobile camera on the A*** for a while....that should be good for a few thou"

Crying or Very sad
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is quite annoying to be constantly reminded over a short stretch of road. However, with some of the cameras, I wonder if they are simply slightly different co-ordinates for the same camera. Hopefully, now that the database is being run professionally and the quality of the data improves, we may see a change.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: