Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Co Pilot 6 for IPAQ pronunciation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Co Pilot 6 for IPAQ pronunciation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Co Pilot 6 for IPAQ pronunciation Reply with quote

Hi, I recently upgraded from the HP iPAQ navigation system to CoPilot Live 6 for Pocket PC.

On the whole I am happy with it, with three main gripes.

Firstly I am pleased it now quotes roads as A Three Twenty and opposed to A three hundred and twenty. Definitely a step in the right direction.

However it has the very annoying habit of the letter A sounding like UH instead of AYE.

ALK say they are expecting a patch to fix it but can't give me an ETA. I assume this is a standard problem and not specific to my setup?

Secondly if the road name was displayed after the number in brackets - for instance A245 (Parvis Road) the previous version would SAY Parvis Road, but version 6 doesn't do that, just the road number Is this a bug?

Lastly when updating the speed camera database from here into the Save directory ALK say to enable POIs in the CUSTOM category, against the file downloaded which does now appear in Custom. However when I do that it won't announce speed cameras, I have to enable the POIs in Travel too. That doesnt sound right to me ?

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Clive
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When speed cameras are loaded as custom categories, the only announcement is "Point of Interest ahead". Furthermore, if you have alerts activated for any other POIs, say supermarkets or filling stations, they too will be announced by "Point of Interest ahead". This is one of many examples in Copilot where, in the strictest sense, a feature works but hasn't been developed to the level found in equivalent applications.

I don't know if that answers your question.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for yuor reply. Interestingly that isn't what happens for me. The ALK instructions state that if the camera database is updated via the SAVE directory to enable announcements of cameras you should look in 'Other' and tick the file uploaded in there, as opposed to that in the Travel category.

When I do that nothing is announced. However if I then go back into Travel and tick Safety Cameras there it works. However I am not sure if this just enables the old (built-in) database of cameras or the new one I had just loaded onto the device.

Either way this isn't workign as per ALK's instructions!

Also annoying that the @ symbol causes it to stop speaking at that point.

I think my main gripe is the UH pronounciation of A roads!

Clive
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Co Pilot 6 for IPAQ pronunciation Reply with quote

ccarmock wrote:
...ALK say they are expecting a patch to fix it but can't give me an ETA...

When did they tell you this? As you are possibly aware, last week, one member was told it would be on or around 2nd May.
ccarmock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil - they told me on 24/3/06

"With regards to your query. We do apologise we are still working on it at the moment. Please be patient, and thank you for using CoPilot."

Was their response.

I had a look but can't see any sign of a patch on their UK support web site.

Clive
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so pending any more unforseen problems the patch is still due out within a few days.

That is unless anyone else knows to the contrary.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: